Mountain Project Logo

Lost: NUT TOOL (Red Rocks)


Original Post
Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,532

I lost a nut tool (which has a lot of value to me). Either at Fender Bender or Man's Best Friend in the Sandstone Quarry or at Birdland or the Brass Wall in Pine Creek. In addition to covering any expenses you might incur I will also reward you very well if you return it to me. Thanks!

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,532

Bump.

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 479

There is a nut tool on Birdland on the second pitch as of 2 days ago. Easily snagged with a coat hanger or scrounge in a deep crack near a black water bottle. I didn't inspect it too closely but probably a black diamond tool without a built in biner, but thats just my intuition.

If that sounds like it's yours go get it, and please try to keep our classic climbs in Red Rock free of your litter. Maybe after you've climbed for a while you will better understand the ethics of the area.

Gavin W · · Surrey, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 183
Rprops wrote:If that sounds like it's yours go get it, and please try to keep our classic climbs in Red Rock free of your litter. Maybe after you've climbed for a while you will better understand the ethics of the area.
rprops

josh janes

I rest my case. Josh, hope you get that nut tool back, sounds like it had some sentimental value.
shoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 75
Gavin W wrote: I rest my case. Josh, hope you get that nut tool back, sounds like it had some sentimental value.
Pretty late entry, but I nominate this ^^ for post of the year,
Barrett Pauer · · Brevard, NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 775

+1

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
shoo wrote: Pretty late entry, but I nominate this ^^ for post of the year,
I don't know - even someone as experienced as Josh deserves a little flak for asking for a nut tool back. :)
s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

Hope you get it back. No one comes on MP and offers a reward For such without a great reason.

I think Rprops was just having a little fun at the expense of an acquaintance.

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,532

It was worth losing my nut tool just for the laugh I got from Gavin W's post. And Rprops, thanks for the bump!

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,532

Thanks for the lead on the nut tool on the second pitch of Birdland, Rprops. You were right - it was a BD and not mine. Pretty sure I lost it at the base (just not sure if it was Birdland or the Sandstone Quarry the following day) in the rush to pack up. I'm mainly bumping in hopes that the person who may have picked it up might see this and be compelled to get in touch by my offer of a generous and gracious reward.

Benj84 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 425

I know you said you where thinking at the base but I was up there a couple days ago and there was one stuck in the tree at the 2nd(?) belay station, was hanging there just out of safe reach...

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,532

Oh god I have to go climb it for a third time in two weeks now.

Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 607
Josh Janes wrote:Oh god I have to go climb it for a third time in two weeks now.
How tragic. Go get it though! I've been following this post like a soap opera
Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,532

I know, right? Benj84 may have come up with the ultimate troll though: Suckering me into going and soloing Birdland for a made-up nut tool. 9/10. If I die, the blood is on your hands, Ben, the blood is on your hands.

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 479

Birdland is a classic climb and becoming harder and more polished by the day. In some spots there are only 3 handholds where there used to be 7 or 8 jugs. Please try to limit yourself to as few ascents as possible on this shared masterpiece of stone.
Also, if you do get blood on the rock do your best to clean it up. Bodily fluids on and near routes is becoming a real problem around Red Rock.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Rprops wrote:Birdland is a classic climb and becoming harder and more polished by the day. In some spots there are only 3 handholds where there used to be 7 or 8 jugs. Please try to limit yourself to as few ascents as possible on this shared masterpiece of stone. Also, if you do get blood on the rock do your best to clean it up. Bodily fluids on and near routes is becoming a real problem around Red Rock.
Also, according to all the hysteria, er, beta I read, stay off the rock for approximately one month after it rains. You can't be too careful. This is your life we're talkin' about here.
n00b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 40
Rprops wrote:Birdland is a classic climb and becoming harder and more polished by the day. In some spots there are only 3 handholds where there used to be 7 or 8 jugs. Please try to limit yourself to as few ascents as possible on this shared masterpiece of stone. Also, if you do get blood on the rock do your best to clean it up. Bodily fluids on and near routes is becoming a real problem around Red Rock.
That's what climbing needs: rationing.
Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 8,532

OK, just got back. Unfortunately no sign of the nut tool in the tree. However I was able to recover the following:

--- Invalid image id: 112428078 ---

Rprops, are you sure this stuff isn't yours? PS: Sorry I couldn't reach the water bottle.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 13,267

Josh...that is too good. At present Rprops is just trying to extricate his foot from his mouth. Sorry, you didn't locate your nut tool. Good luck.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Benjamin Chapman wrote:Josh...that is too good. At present Rprops is just trying to extricate his foot from his mouth. Sorry, you didn't locate your nut tool. Good luck.
I get the impression Rprops and Josh are friends; Rprops is just giving him some "jazz."
Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 607

I hear your nut tool was spotted over the Bermuda Triangle traveling on the Mary Celeste with Elvis Presley and Bigfoot

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply