2nd ed of Croft's Good, Great & the Awesome is out

Original Post
fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 12,086
2nd ed

Available through
the publisher, likely also at Wilson's in Bishop.
climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 10

Is it as good as the old one?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

How many climbs are in the newer edition that weren't in the old one? That's why I would get it.

climbing coastie wrote:Is it as good as the old one?
Will report back when it arrives. It's ~100 pages more than the 1st ed, so there will undoubtedly be more (e.g. the newish routes on Merriam). Regardless, Peter's a nice guy and I'm happy supporting him.

Updates based on a quick skim:

• color
  • more route coverage on the Hulk, Merriam and Goode
  • W side routes, including those on Saber Ridge, Bubbs Ck, the Prism and Angel Wings
  • added SE Face of Emerson and E Ridge on Carl Heller
  • more Whitney Portal routes
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5

Nice. Honestly, I didn't think much of the first edition, since the route info was more or less available from other sources like Supertopo or the Moynier guide. With the newer stuff being put up (much of it probably a tad hard for me--or more than a tad), it looks like a nice update.

Chad Namolik · · Three Rivers, CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,350

Nice!

Which routes for The Prizm? Angel Wings? Topos?

Thnx!

Mike Mellenthin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

How could you not like the 1st edition!?

Even though most of the info is available elsewhere, it's still the only guidebook I've read cover to cover just for stoke alone. Reading the first edition and getting psyched for the Sierra was such a formative part of my noob climbing years.

Chad N wrote:Nice! Which routes for The Prizm? Angel Wings? Topos? Thnx!
  • Valkyrie: Supertopo style topo
  • Prism Time: no topo
Mike Mellenthin wrote:How could you not like the 1st edition!? Even though most of the info is available elsewhere, it's still the only guidebook I've read cover to cover just for stoke alone. Reading the first edition and getting psyched for the Sierra was such a formative part of my noob climbing years.
+1 for that and the entertaining stories (kind of like the older Black Canyon guide)
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5
Mike Mellenthin wrote:How could you not like the 1st edition!? Even though most of the info is available elsewhere, it's still the only guidebook I've read cover to cover just for stoke alone. Reading the first edition and getting psyched for the Sierra was such a formative part of my noob climbing years.
For me, there wasn't anything new in it. Plus, us old farts had to get our stoke from a collective amount of resources. I think reading Galen Rowell's posts in the AAJ, which some juicy storytelling and a single tantalizing photo got my juices going more than anything. People are still getting around to making early repeats of some of his older stuff. You gotta go with whatever works for you. We are so lucky to have the Sierra as our home range.
Mike Mellenthin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0
Fat Dad wrote: For me, there wasn't anything new in it. Plus, us old farts had to get our stoke from a collective amount of resources. I think reading Galen Rowell's posts in the AAJ, which some juicy storytelling and a single tantalizing photo got my juices going more than anything. People are still getting around to making early repeats of some of his older stuff. You gotta go with whatever works for you. We are so lucky to have the Sierra as our home range.
Fair enough -- we're all a product of our time. Still, the story about Croft glissading with his nut tool (or maybe a stick?) out of Temple Crag and becoming a "real Sierra climber" is IMO all time.

Also I think that GG+A has beta for some of the bigger sierra traverses that aren't published elsewhere besides the internet. I could be wrong about that though.

There isn't a mountain range I'd rather have than the Sierra in my back yard.

And yeah, Rowell was undoubtedly the man.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply