Mountain Project Logo

What climb made you proud this year?

Original Post
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 650

Maybe you finally sent that V9 boulder, lead your first trad route, or summited an 8000m peak. Let's do something besides argue - what one climb are you most proud of from the last 12 months? Pictures highly encouraged. Let's share the stoke and positive energy. Spray on.

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 235

That stupid V2 at HP40 that anyone who has been there knows what I am talking about!

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

Despite getting schooled on the offwidth pitch, Borderline up in Squamish was probably the most fun I had on the rock this year.

MikeOH · · Hartford, CT · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 70
The Grand Traverse (11.a) - Valley of The Blind Region, Arkansas

Maybe not the climb that made me the most proud, but definitely had the most fun on. 300 ft. of traversing 100 ft above a cave was unique to say the least. Highly recommend to anyone passing by!

Cheers to another year
Kurt G. · · Reading, PA · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 140

leading strictly from nowhere in the gunks, my first 5.7 there!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Had a kid in January, but still managed to get out about once a month and did my first bigger multipitch swapping leads on the Bastille Crack.

Loyd Wofford III · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 75

Direct SW on Devils Tower my first Trad .11 lead.

Andrew Gram · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 3,580
pkeds · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30

Beckey-Chouinard in the Buggs.

Cory Furrow · · Blacksburg, VA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

The Decameron (5.10b) at the NRG.

It was love at first sight 1.5 years ago when I was introduced to outdoor climbing.

Now I need a new "project" for 2017.

jon jugenheimer · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,139

My first trip to Patagonia. Super stoked about the trip.

Pagagonia
bearded sam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 145

Onsite of the evolution traverse.

Sunset

Most of it
C. Williams · · the Climber Cave · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,039

Where to start! 2016 was a awesome climbing year in so many ways but my proudest accomplishment would be the pair of FAs I claimed with with my good friends Lang and Gus out in nowheres Alaska. The First was a 1200ft 5.10 we named Funding Denied.

Funding Denied (5.10) Route starts below the glacier's horizon on splitters before moving left to the prominent arete.

Pitch 2 on Funding Denied

Then there was the rowdy Life Insurance Policy? 5.10x 600ft. Scary climbing and sick views.

Life Insurance Policy None of those blocks are attached!

Great views after an x-rated pitch!

Hope you all send in 2017 like you did in 2016!
Dylan B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 938

As the World's Weeniest Trad Climberâ„¢, I'm not ashamed to admit that my proudest achievement this year was a redpoint of a 2-pitch 5.7+, Zoo View at Moore's Wall, NC. FWIW, that plus is full value.

Bennett Boyer · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 5

I just started climbing again last February after about 8 years off. I had only top roped in the gym before this year so I had a lot of firsts. First time climbing outside, first gym lead, first sport climb, but I'm most proud of doing my first trad lead. It was only 5.4 ( Face the Notch @ Annapolis Rocks) but it was a blast leading on my own gear. Hoping to do my first multi-pitch lead in 2017.

First lead "Face the Notch" at Annapolis Rocks
SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

+ 1 for Patagonia! That place is f!ckin amazeballz!

Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 98

2016 was awesome! Climbed a lot of great stuff. Probably the highlight was Epinephrine in October. I thought car-to-car in 12 hours wasn't too bad for us. We didn't fly up the route, but we moved efficiently. I thought that route would be a goal for next season and was really psyched to get on it this year!

Summit of Black Velvet Peak
Tarrant Seautelle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 20

Was super stoked to climb Mt. Whitney via the East Buttress in late August. Did the route car to car in a looooooong day with the girlfriend and two friends. Looking forward to getting after it in 2017!

Girlfriend and buddy somewhere around pitch 6 of the East Buttress. Yew!

In the summit hut after topping out in the dark. It was a looooong day!
wayne willoughby · · SEATTLE · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 95

Lots of highlights for me this year, my first ascent in the Black, Astrodog IAD, a sub seventeen-hour ascent of Lurking Fear on a 102* day, a push of Zodiac with Horsetail raining and even snowing on us. But a tie for first goes to...As far as I know, the first IAD ascent of Dark Side of the Moon in Zion, 16:40, and a 17:15 ascent of The Shortest Straw on El Cap.

Dark Side
s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348
Boyer wrote:I just started climbing again last February after about 8 years off. I had only top roped in the gym before this year so I had a lot of firsts. First time climbing outside, first gym lead, first sport climb, but I'm most proud of doing my first trad lead. It was only 5.4 ( Face the Notch @ Annapolis Rocks) but it was a blast leading on my own gear. Hoping to do my first multi-pitch lead in 2017.
This is really cool. Good on Ya!

Mine was climbing out of bed for the first time after back surgery.
Then finishing the year strong on a FA right before the snow arrived and closed the road.
Jeff G. · · Fort Collins · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 865

I had a hip replacement in November 2015 so I was down a long time but I was really happy to start climbing again in 2016 and I was able to redpoint "I Turkey" (12a) mountainproject.com/v/i-tur… at Turkey rocks and "Madame de Guillotine" mountainproject.com/v/madam… (12c) in Eldo. I was also able to do one longish alpine day and did my 35th ascent of the Spearhead in RMNP.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply