Blade runner Nepal evo fit

Original Post
Sam RC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

I have a pair of size 2 blade runners and 45 nepals. With the bail all the way in the front there is some side to side slop and with it offset either way it just makes the slop more to one side and less to the other.

Anyone else struggled with this or figured out solutions?

Patrick Carey · · Keene, NY · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 0

My friend is having a very similar issue with his Blade Runners and Baturas. Sportivas are just a bit small in front. His slop is vertical, but either way, you don't want any. Crampons should fit perfectly onto your boots. Otherwise, it's a definite risk that they could come off at an inopportune time. Not to mention, they won't climb as well if they're shifting around.

I have cured similar issues with fit on other boot/crampon combinations with some time fine tuning the bails with a bench vise. If you've got side to side slop, the front bail probably needs to be squeezed from the sides to narrow it up. Vertical play can usually be fixed by playing with the angle on the sides of the bail. Making the angle wider takes away some of its vertical height, which can lock the front down.

Definitely get that sorted out. No fun having a crampon pop off or shifting around on you.

Sam RC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

I'll see how it goes. Replacement toe nails are twenty so maybe some room for error.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,740

I've solved two boot-crampon "looseness issues" that were due to the boot sole interfering with the crampon. In the more recent case, it was a newish pair of SCARPA Freney XT's (new meaning the boot sole was still thick and square-edged) that rubbed against the bail of my Darts. A quick nick with a knife made a little groove for the bail to settle in. The other was an issue with the top edge of the monopoint on Charlet Grade 8's hitting the bottom of the sole. Again, a groove in the rubber took care of it.

Just pointing this out so you can take a look at what's really interfering wit the boot-crampon interface.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply