Mountain Project Logo

Staying fitish with torn acl

Original Post
thebmags · · Outback, Subaru · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 130

Unfortunately I tore my acl and will be going into surgery sometime next month. Any tips on training post surgery/ staying fit during the coming months?

Isaac Bohrer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

I tore mine 2.5 years ago for the second time and haven't gotten it fixed again yet. Exercise bikes are your friend. As long as you keep your legs strong and stay away from sports where there is a lot of cutting involved you can do pretty much anything.

JNE · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,940

The most important thing is maintaining both muscle mass as well as recruitment. I recommend either campusing or hangboard plus pullups and any pushups or other exercises you are willing to do to balance out. Start with 3 to 4 sets of each exercisse and go from there. Play it right and you will come out outright stronger, or just with more potential to get stronger. Good luck, I hope you heal well, and I hope this helps.

thebmags · · Outback, Subaru · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 130

Thanks, if anyone else has good advice on endurance training or a viable substitute for ARC training I'd love to hear it.

JNE · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,940

To ease some of your concerns: if you keep your muscular recruitment up and keep your calorie count the same or even a little higher than normal you will likely keep all your mass and only achieve a small muscle conversion. If you are really worried about your endurance you could try longer and varied hangboard sets and high-rep weight reduced pullups and do everything back to back with your other workouts to replicate the overall body stress of climbing.

If you just do power, then take a rest after you heal followed by a few weeks of focused endurance training (and visit your power peak very briefly every workout after warming up properly and maybe add a few more calories) and you will then keep all that power, have your endurance back, and have a whole new level of strength to play with. If you have extra weight, this is a chance to shed some of it.

Jon Nelson · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,675
thebmags wrote:Unfortunately I tore my acl and will be going into surgery sometime next month. Any tips on training post surgery/ staying fit during the coming months?
Since my acl surgery at the end of August, I have been doing knee bends, working my way lower and lower, trying to increase the range of motion. At first, I'd use a countertop for assistance, but now prefer to use a strap system from a door, a system in which I can lean back a little, and get some stability. After 3 months, the range of motion is about 90-95% of that of my other knee. Strength is more like 70-80%. I also have done step-ups on a bench.

Another thing I work on is kneeling. With both knees on the ground, I try to lower my rear to sit on my heels. I do reps, going down and up, just using my legs. At about 3 months, I could sit on my heels, but it helps to work it every day.

For training the upper body, you just have to make sure you don't fall or slip.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply