J Tree crags for top roping

Original Post
Piotrek · · Redmond, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Hi,
I will be going soon to J Tree to improve my crack climbing skills. However I will not have my trad gear with me so I will be top roping (I might bring enough cams and slings to set up an anchor for TR though).

Could anyone recommend some crags that have nice crack climbs in a range from 5.9 till 5.11a and it is realtively easy to scramble on top t set up a top rope? Probably at this time of year South and West faces would be the best.

Perfect one that I found in my guidebook is Sports Chellenge Rock West Face. Anyting similar?

Piotr

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

Future Games Rock.

Zachary k · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 25

Thin wall in real hidden valley

C Miller · · CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 52,410

Maybe check out the The Brown Wall in Real Hidden Valley.

Bowen Campbell · · Encino, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

PM me your email and I'll shoot you a PDF of a JT top rope guide from a site that is no longer live. It includes top rope routes in Belle Campground, Cap Rock, Quail Springs, and others.

Crackist · · Palm Desert, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5

Future Games and Thin Wall both mostly in shade this time of year. Neither are south nor west facing as asked for.

Lizard's Hangout has multiple 5.9-5.11 cracks on its west face.

Peyote Cracks are 5.8-5.10d and southwest facing.

Labor Dome has good 5.9 and 5.10c, plus 5.10d roof to thin crack off of the latter's gear anchor.

Brown Wall as mentioned.

All those have walkoffs to access the top.

Also, Rock Hudson west face has a good 5.9 and an excellent 5.11a, if you could reverse that little jump on the walkoff.

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 0

Near Lizard's Hangout is Mels Cracks, two climbs just feet from each other, both 10's(? too lazy to double check) with one of the routes bolted and the other with a slot hungry for gear. The walkup is a chute with only one "move" that even I could do. And if that move is intimidating, and you're not too big, you could shimmy under the chockstone instead.

Hands Off, in Hidden Valley Campground, is a great 5.8 with varied size jams.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 105

Just so you let all the folks who are leading climbs "play through" when your TR is not in use.

Your good.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply