NH Ice Conditions after snowfall? Avy free areas?

Original Post
Jesse Toedtman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Hey everyone,

I am going to be in NH for some ice Friday through Tuesday (12/30-1/2). I see they will be getting a few feet of snow in the mountains tomorrow.

I am mainly interested in warming up on something easy like Wileys slide and Parasol Gulley up in Dixville Notch and then trying to find something with a more alpine feel.

I have two questions:
1) What areas are notorious for avalanche conditions? IE what areas to avoid?
2) Are there any alpine climbing areas that typically remain avalanche free?

thanks so much!

Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 567

Check the Mt Washington avalanche forecasting, this should help your planning if you are not already. They do analysis of the snowpack in Tuckerman and Huntington Ravine so that will give you some indication of what the general alpine scene might be like. Still, use discretion, avalanches can still happen on ";low"; probability days.

Avalanches can occur on any slope, usually around 30-40 degrees, with a sweet spot right around 35. That doesn't exclude gentler slopes where it doesn't really move and steeper ones where snow sloughs naturally, as people can still trigger slides in this terrain. Locals can chime in on specific areas.

Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 567

Well I wouldn't say it translates entirely. Merely suggesting that if you see the forecast saying "high danger" and the circumstances are not unique to Huntington to Tuckerman- ie, along the lines of we had a calm clear night two nights ago and noticed surface hoar and the whole region got two feet of snow on top of it yesterday, so today we're saying watch out- then you can have an indication of some potential problems you may encounter elsewhere.

To say the forecast is accurate in other areas is not what I meant, but I can see it being taken that way. I meant more along the lines of its just a handy tool in your mental toolbox. If you know that there's unstable wind slabs reported in Huntington Ravine, that's one thing to be extra aware of in the Gulf of Slides, for example, as the weather and conditions that conspired to create them could have done so elsewhere.

Of course, just because there's a low danger in either region does not remotely mean that it could not be what would be "moderate", "considerable" or "high" elsewhere. Ultimately, it's up to the individual to monitor and evaluate the conditions at hand.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 15

we just had a rain event and a thaw and freeze with an icy crust. it's going to be hideous most places even spots at frankenstine getting to dracula and the walk off. waterfall often slides etc.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply