Mountain Project Logo

cats and adk ice partners

Original Post
neils · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 30

I am new to ice climbing. I went out a week ago and followed up to WI3 and WI3+ on PItchoff right in the ADK with a partner/guide who led. We also did some TR. I have all needed ice gear - tools, boots, screws, dry rope, etc.

On rock I can lead up to 5.5 and follow to 5.7.

Looking to make some contacts to get out a few more times in the Cats or ADK this season. I typically get out 2-3 times per month. I drive up from central/jersey shore area so carpooling is an option and I have no problem driving or buying food if you are more experienced climber. Just looking to get out and get better and learn more.

Let me know if interested. Thanks.

Systematic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 317
Mrkb3 wrote:https://www.mountainproject.com/v/rock-and-ice-partner/112386161
thank you
t.farrell wrote:I'm sort of in the same situation...relatively new to ice and looking to get better. I've climbed a handful of WI3 pitches and can certainly belay if you wanna TR with me. Let me know if you're interested. I have gear and go up to the Catskills all the time. Based in NYC.
cool - thanks - i was up last weekend with a partner and i will be attending the catskills ice fest at the end of jan sponsored by alpine endeavors - ill most likely be looking to get out a few times in feb, maybe early march as well.
Dan L. · · Saratoga Springs, New York · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

I'd be game to climb some ice! Is anyone free this week? - Dan

take TAKE · · Tempe, AZ · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 186

I'm also looking to climb in the Catskills this week before sunday, or after next week. Got everything but screws, figured i'd toss my hat in

Marco Dees · · New Paltz · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 50

I'm looking for ice partners too! My schedule is pretty flexible, so looking to climb as much as possible! Have gear, lead WI3+ ish.

glad i started this thread - hope it is helping some other folks to meet up. looks like there are no shortage of folks willing to go out with newer climbers in the WI3 range. I am heading to the Catskills this weekend on Sunday for the ice fest...hopefully there is ice :) and then hope to get out a couple of times in february. Maybe hook up with someone here. Thanks.

Hey all, I'm free to go climb some ice this tuesday, this friday, or sunday, if anybody else is psyched. Friday looks like it could be quite good... but i'm no expert on Cats conditions.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

I'm looking for a 4th to complete our little group headed to the Catskills this Thursday (Feb. 9). I can pick you up at the Poughkeepsie station if you take the Amtrak or MetroNorth train into there around 8:30 AM.

Given the warmth passing through - hopefully BRIEFLY - on Wednesday, we are dialing our expectations back for a low-key sort of day. Spunky semi-beginners will do fine with whatever we find. In the event we have to hike uphill a ways, microspikes or equivalent would be a great idea.

Marco Dees · · New Paltz · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 50

Sure, I'll climb on Thursday!

Anyone for the catskills tomorrow? Looks like this weekend is gonna do some damage to whatever's in... let me know

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Daniel Affsprung wrote:Anyone for the catskills tomorrow? Looks like this weekend is gonna do some damage to whatever's in... let me know
Tomorrow should be pretty solid up there. It was mid 20s today at "ravine top elevation" and then the wind picked up mid afternoon and it was 15F by 5:30 PM.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "cats and adk ice partners"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.