Mountain Project Logo

Sport climbing at Red Rock

Original Post
oakwood-jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Three of us are headed from Boulder, CO to Red Rock Jan 9-11 for three days of sport climbing. Looking areas with the best/most routes in 5.7-10a range... We're all competent leaders up to 10d, but mostly just looking to spin as many laps as possible and have fun.

Did some research and first/second pullout both look like great places to spend a day. Any other areas that we shouldn't miss in that grade range?

Also tossing around the idea of renting a few pads and spending one day bouldering. Mostly VO-V2, maybe a few V3-4... hiked through the Kraft Boulders last month and it looked awesome! Awesome enough to inspire this trip! I assume that's the best place to go for bouldering?

Thanks!

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

The 1st and 2nd pullouts should cover you- you may also consider Big Bad Wolf in Calico and maybe a day at Cannibal. Man's Best Friend is also a nice afternoon if you're looking to practice multi-pitch sport skills.

Kraft is okay- definitely the highest concentration of easy access bouldering, although I wouldn't say its the best in the area. I'd look through SNB2 at one of the local shops and see if anything strikes your fancy while you're here.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply