Mountain Project Logo

Mental health benefits of climbing

Original Post
normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 100

Hello fellow climbers!

I am writing an article on mental health benefits of climbing, especially as it pertains to anxiety and depression. If you find that it helps you and don't mind sharing your experience, can you PM me? I will not include your real name in the article (unless you explicitly state that you want that).

Thanks!

Jona Dul · · New Milford, CT · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 75

pm sent, applies hugely to why i climb

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Only when I crush my friends' and enemies' projects. Otherwise I am gutted. What else is there when you live in a black hole of despair?

Danny Poceta · · the gunks · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 40

Might be worth checking out Stacy Bare's Enormocast appearance (ep 103). He has a lot to say about his mental/emotional relationship with climbing, and I think he articulates much of it in an incredibly interesting and relatable way. Seems like an amazing guy.

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 100
Danny P wrote:Might be worth checking out Stacy Bare's Enormocast appearance (ep 103). He has a lot to say about his mental/emotional relationship with climbing, and I think he articulates much of it in an incredibly interesting and relatable way. Seems like an amazing guy.
That was great! Thanks! I actually already watched the movie about his trip to Angola with Alex Honnold. That's pretty cool also.
Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,480
ViperScale wrote: Can I send you ones about how it hurt me mentally or are you only taking ones for positive affects to back your article?
I'm going to guess, based on the title of the thread, that she only wants the positive. Hence the word "benefits". Also another clue that the OP wants only positive anecdotes and accounts could be found inside the body of her post here:

normajean wrote: If you find that it helps you...

Furthermore, why would someone privately send a false account of the mental and psychological benefits that climbing has provided them? It's not like they're lying about climbing prowess or something.

Do you just not like the OP, or has climbing really been a detriment to your psychological state? Outside of those two things, I can't really muster a logical reason for your post.

Oh, and it's you're, not your.
Max Rieg · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

IMHO you should do research in some actual journals (HINT: NOT ONLINE ARTICLES OR BLOGS) to see who and what research supports physical activity as a benefit to mental health - the neurochemicals released, ect and why that is all good for you. Then interview climbers to see if they self report instances that your research supports would induce them to see greater benefits than say other athletes.

UNRESEARCHED AND LIKELY NOT ENTIRELY CORRECT EXAMPLE:

You find a research article that says when you exercises your body releases adrenaline that increases dopamine creation in the brain and that reduces depression symptoms so your take would be that rock climbers are less prone to depression symptoms than non-rock climbers.

That would be how you do research and then write an opinion piece on it.

I would not advice just interviewing a few people and extrapolating that to an article with your name claiming that climbing as a sport helps treat mental health conditions like anxiety and depression.

Man, you people are just ripping her apart for virtually no reason. Who says she's not doing research in actual journals? Who's to say that the anecdotal details aren't just a small portion of what she's writing- or even what she's ultimately going to use them for?

You're making huge assumptions on what she's going to do with the information that she obtains and in what manner she's going to apply it.

Take it easy.

Advice is a noun. Advise is a verb. Why the hell is everyone so combative and cranky?

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 235
Jake Jones wrote:Man, you people are just ripping her apart for virtually no reason. Who says she's not doing research in actual journals? Who's to say that the anecdotal details aren't just a small portion of what she's writing- or even what she's ultimately going to use them for? You're making huge assumptions on what she's going to do with the information that she obtains and in what manner she's going to apply it. Take it easy. Advice is a noun. Advise is a verb. Why the hell is everyone so combative and cranky?
Well she said she is writing an article about the mental health benefits of climbing like she has already made up her mind. Also I would account for taking random PM from people the same as eyewitness accounts on a trial which have a history of being really bad.

Based on the post it sounds like someone just making up an article to say what they want ignoring any real research. I could be wrong just going by what I am reading. If someone was doing real research on this issue they should be posting article using results from a real study not just random people's thoughts.

For real information I would assume you need to have a psychological baseline, you need to know information about what the person has done, than you need an updated psychological exam. Not just someone who goes I think I am depressed and than I climbed for a year and now I feel better!
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290
Jake Jones wrote:Man, you people are just ripping her apart for virtually no reason. Why the hell is everyone so combative and cranky?
Uh, winter?
Can't climb.
Stuck inside.
Outside iced over everywhere.
Not mental enough to try ice climbing.
No car to get there anyway.
Stuck inside.
With, you know, those people you only see when you have to.
Overspending.
Overdrinking.
Under drinking.
THOSE people get to go warm places.
And climb.
And aren't stuck inside.
SOME get almost free rides to, oh, just an example, HAWAII. Just...sayin.
Stuck inside.
Stuck on/in non moving, stupid transport of your choice.
To go see those people you only see when you have to.
With children, babies, spouses, bf, gf, all of whom are crankier than you.
And they voted incorrectly.
And will tell you why.
For the next 20 hours.

Did i mention stuck inside?

And can't get out?

Is there a button on the old person fob for that?

Best, to all, OLH. Not cranky. Ever. Nope.

:-)
ViperScale wrote: Well she said she is writing an article about the mental health benefits of climbing like she has already made up her mind. Also I would account for taking random PM from people the same as eyewitness accounts on a trial which have a history of being really bad. Based on the post it sounds like someone just making up an article to say what they want ignoring any real research. I could be wrong just going by what I am reading. If someone was doing real research on this issue they should be posting article using results from a real study not just random people's thoughts. For real information I would assume you need to have a psychological baseline, you need to know information about what the person has done, than you need an updated psychological exam. Not just someone who goes I think I am depressed and than I climbed for a year and now I feel better!
Dude, she's not writing on what effects climbing has overall on the psyche. She's writing about the BENEFITS.

If you were writing an article on how good Hondas were for longevity, would you solicit people that bought Honda lemons?

Jesus Christ. Tough crowd.
Jake Jones wrote: Dude, she's not writing on what effects climbing has overall on the psyche. She's writing about the BENEFITS. If you were writing an article on how good Hondas were for longevity, would you solicit people that bought Honda lemons? Jesus Christ. Tough crowd.
So you agree with me she is just posting propaganda than?

Like saying I am going to post an article on the benefits of smoking. If you look hard enough there are people who smoke and have no negative medical side affects and as long as you only look for good things you will find it.

Well I guess someone already did it, here is a list of benefits to smoking!
livescience.com/15115-5-hea…
ViperScale wrote: So you agree with me she is just posting propaganda than? Like saying I am going to post an article on the benefits of smoking. If you look hard enough there are people who smoke and have no negative medical side affects and as long as you only look for good things you will find it.
You're comparing smoking with mental health benefits of a physically and mentally engaging activity?

Hahaha. Good. Now I don't feel the need to respond anymore.

Nice delete too. Glad it's quoted.
Jake Jones wrote: You're comparing smoking with mental health benefits of a physically and mentally engaging activity? Hahaha. Good. Now I don't feel the need to respond anymore.
How is it any different than that article? What about all the negative mental affects of climbing?

You can't just take the good without the bad.

So based on my experience I will list a few negative mental results I have seen from climbing.

1) Tend to take more risk now.
2) Related to the first it takes more for me to find enjoyment in things now. (similar to affect of having to take more drugs to get the same high)

PS: What was deleted? I added a link to an article that says smoking is good for you... nothing was deleted.
the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Look, I know that I posted a flippant, jackass comment up thread. But I don't understand why everyone is getting so bent out of shape. The OP is just collecting anecdotal information for an article that you have not seen, and that does not yet exist. I don't know why this warrants getting upset, and it definitely does not amount to 'propaganda.'

Jake, thanks for voice of reason.

Eric Chabot · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 35

There is a broad spectrum of valuable nonfiction writing out there. Peer reviewed journals are on one end. Literary essays about the human experience are towards the other. As long as someone doesn't misrepresent the type of writing they are doing I see no reason to be overly critical of a piece. Especially one that isn't even written yet. Please chill.

Climbing has seemed to improve my day to day confidence, my ability to emotionally regulate effectively, and my ability to commit to choices that I make.

Good luck with the piece.

the schmuck wrote:Look, I know that I posted a flippant, jackass comment up thread. But I don't understand why everyone is getting so bent out of shape. The OP is just collecting anecdotal information for an article that you have not seen, and that does not yet exist. I don't know why this warrants getting upset, and it definitely does not amount to 'propaganda.' Jake, thanks for voice of reason.
Well we won't know until the article is posted but if one is made with only mental benefits of climbing but doesn't list a single negative mental item... that is propaganda. If you want to live in a little bubble and pretend like climbing is 100% good for you go ahead, but I live in the real world and it isn't all good.

I guess I just prefer unbiased articles.
ViperScale wrote: I guess I just prefer unbiased articles.
First, who said articles had to be unbiased? Second, the OP isn't purporting that there are no negative mental effects born from climbing. As a matter of fact, she hasn't purported a damned thing yet.

I imagine that when she does, it'll go something like this:

Based on some information I've gathered, there appears to be positive mental effects. Here's what they are.

And you take issue with that.
reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Jake Jones wrote:Man, you people are just ripping her apart for virtually no reason. Who says she's not doing research in actual journals? Who's to say that the anecdotal details aren't just a small portion of what she's writing- or even what she's ultimately going to use them for? You're making huge assumptions on what she's going to do with the information that she obtains and in what manner she's going to apply it.
Based on the past pseudo-science she has "contributed" to the training forum? I'm not holding my breath.
Jake Jones wrote: First, who said articles had to be unbiased? Second, the OP isn't purporting that there are no negative mental effects born from climbing. As a matter of fact, she hasn't purported a damned thing yet. I imagine that when she does, it'll go something like this: Based on some information I've gathered, there appears to be positive mental effects. Here's what they are. And you take issue with that.
We will see when the article gets posted hopefully someone puts a link to it and we will see if my assumptions are correct!
reboot wrote: Based on the past pseudo-science she has "contributed" to the training forum? I'm not holding my breathe.
Well, yeah, I'm with you. I'm not either, but that's hardly my point.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply