Ice climbing if unable to do pullup?

Original Post
scienceguy288 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 20

A friend has expressed interest in taking an ice climbing class with me. However, they are only a beginner climber and cannot do a single pullup. Having never ice climbed before, I don't know how much of a problem that might be. Should they work on building strength first before doing something like this? I don't want to dissuade them, but also don't want them to get shut down.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

It'll be fine.

jon jugenheimer · · Madison · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,425

Push up with your legs and hire an instructor/guide/friend to teach proper technique.

Spooner · · Denver · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Ice climbing is more about standing up with your legs and using your hands for balance at a beginner level. They should be fine just make sure to concentrate on the foot work. And don't over grip your tools! :-)

T-Bob · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 5

I strongly believe a lack of peak strength to be a benefit when learning new techniques. Particularly in new skill/macro level events such as learning to climb ice vs learning to mantle off a gaston. This prevents strength compensation for poor technique as we are developing the initial engramatic pathways to complex activities.

just a thought though...

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40

Yamasuka Guides had a billboard that read "If you can climb a ladder you can ice climb". That's the truth.

scienceguy288 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 20

Thanks guys! Appreciate the responses.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 438

ENGAGE YER GLUTES

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40
Nick Drake wrote:ENGAGE YER GLUTES
Hell ya!!

Engaging your flutes
Max Forbes · · Vermont & Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 24

I regularly take folks out who have no rock or ice climbing experience, and many of them, I am certain have been incapable of doing a pull-up. Go climbing. Work with your guide and express your concerns and make them aware you are interested in a beginner friendly location.

Boots Ylectric · · Chicago IL · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 25
Bill Kirby wrote:Yamasuka Guides had a billboard that read "If you can climb a ladder you can ice climb". That's the truth.
That's exactly how I explained it to my knee surgeon when I was asking for clearance to start climbing again. "What if the motions are just like climbing a ladder?"
Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 90

They are going to get tired.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply