Pictures

Original Post
s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,038

Why do we see the same pics all the time?
You must have thousands to choose from yet the same few out of those thousands just repeat and repeat.

Why would a photo of a standard Forest Service toilet at some scrappy little area keep showing up when there is so much better to choose from?

Who or what decides what makes the cut?

sherb · · Loveland, Ohio & Wheat Ridg... · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0
s.price wrote:Why do we see the same pics all the time? You must have thousands to choose from yet the same few out of those thousands just repeat and repeat.
You sound bored to be nitpicking about a free site's photoroll.

s.price wrote: Why would a photo of a standard Forest Service toilet at some scrappy little area keep showing up when there is so much better to choose from?
Not fair, I haven't seen that picture yet!

s.price wrote: Who or what decides what makes the cut?
It's probably random. Or maybe the algorithm generates photos specifically for you based on your favorite areas or keywords in your posts? Which makes me wonder about the toilet.

Not bored just curious. I'm good with the way it works just interested in why it works the way it does.

Anyone who has posted a picture here has a degree of making the site what it is.
Seems it makes it a little more than just a free photoroll.

s.price wrote:Not bored just curious.
Everyone posting/writing in the forum is bored...
Ana Tine wrote: Everyone posting/writing in the forum is bored...
Not true. Nick is on a path to make a better site for us all so I thought I would open this up to the forum here and see how the community feels about it.

You may be bored...
s.price wrote: You may be bored...
Yeah, I am bored...
Nick Wilder · · The Bubble · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 1,716
s.price wrote: Not true. Nick is on a path to make a better site for us all so I thought I would open this up to the forum here and see how the community feels about it. You may be bored...
Guess I'm bored. I expanded the candidate pool of photos from 1,000 photos to 9,000 photos (and that will now grow as the database expands).

It's based on photos with high star ratings. So when you see good photos - give them high star ratings! And vice versa to keep the crap out.

Thanks Nick.
But a picture of a toilet really gets that many stars?
We have been seeing that photo for years.

Jon Nelson · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,425
Nick Wilder wrote: Guess I'm bored. I expanded the candidate pool of photos from 1,000 photos to 9,000 photos (and that will now grow as the database expands). It's based on photos with high star ratings. So when you see good photos - give them high star ratings! And vice versa to keep the crap out.
This is great to hear. Thanks Nick.

I really appreciate all the fantastic photos in the MP database, but as s.price noted, a lot of the same ones had been repeatedly cropping up. I look forward to seeing some of the 8000 new ones.
Nick Wilder · · The Bubble · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 1,716
s.price wrote:Thanks Nick. But a picture of a toilet really gets that many stars? We have been seeing that photo for years.
I don't know the photo, but post a link to it and we'll have a look! If you don't vote on photos, you can't complain about what others make popular.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply