Mountain Project Logo

rain in Red Rocks on 12/23

Original Post
Piotrek · · Redmond, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 35

Hi everyone,
I am a total newbie to both sandstone and Red Rocks but I am planning to go there to climb for Christmas.
I am aware that sandstone is a bit special as for weather and needs some more time to dry up.
I checked the weather for coming weekend: google.com/search?q=red+roc…;ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
and it seems that is is going to rain from Fri evening till Sat morning. Now question to all people familiar with the area. Based on the forecast do you think it will be possible to climb in the area on Sat and/or even Sun?

I was once or twice to Nevada itself so I do not even know how rain looks like there.

Piotr

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

If it stops early Saturday, say by noon, you should be good for Sunday. If the ground is still very wet Sunday morning, wait til Monday. Wind will speed up the drying, as will sun (so south-facing routes will dry quicker).

Paging John Wilder...

polloloco · · Downey, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 255

Thank you for asking and being responsible.
Definitely not Saturday. Probably not Sunday either - depends on weather and sun. There are a number of other local crags you can check out instead that are limestone and should be ok.

Piotrek · · Redmond, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 35

I think of heading down to Joshua Tree. What other areas would you recommend to climb near Las Vegas during those rainy days?

rock hopper · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

If you're looking for sport you could try New Jack City. Good camping and non existent approaches.

Thomas Beck · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,040

As I'm typing this the rain prediction is for 0.33" from 12/22 to 12/24 with likely precipitation at near 100%. First storm is over a 9 hour window. Second storm is over an 11 hour window with possible showers on and off Saturday.

Yesterday I went up to Cut Your Teeth in Calico Basin and the ground was wet in the protected shade from the previous storm. Cut your Teeth (sunny exposure) was fine.
One thing working against rapid drying out is the length of sunshine this time of year.

Weather information from Weatherunderground for Sun City, Las Vegas, NV

frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 96
FrankPS wrote:If it stops early Saturday, say by noon, you should be good for Sunday. If the ground is still very wet Sunday morning, wait til Monday. Wind will speed up the drying, as will sun (so south-facing routes will dry quicker). Paging John Wilder...
This isn't quite right. If it rains on Saturday you shouldn't be climbing until at least Monday. Even though the rock may appear dry, it absorbs a lot of moisture and becomes fragile. If you climb the day of or after rain, you run the risk of changing the routes, which is frowned upon by locals.
eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456
Piotrek wrote:I think of heading down to Joshua Tree. What other areas would you recommend to climb near Las Vegas during those rainy days?
I've heard the St George area has a lot of good limestone. If you're into hard sport look into the virgin river gorge
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
frank minunni wrote: This isn't quite right. If it rains on Saturday you shouldn't be climbing until at least Monday. Even though the rock may appear dry, it absorbs a lot of moisture and becomes fragile. If you climb the day of or after rain, you run the risk of changing the routes, which is frowned upon by locals.
What is the minimum number of hours to wait? Is 24 not adequate if the ground is dry and the route is in the sun?
eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456

There isn't a minimum time to wait, it depends on a bunch of factors like sun exposure, wind, temps, etc. If the ground at the base is dry and the climb doesn't feel excessively sandy or dirty, you're probably good to go. That being said, the season is gonna make sun exposure and temps an obstacle to timely drying.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 13,267

Piotrek...Try Christmas Tree Pass near Loughlin. It's granite.

Jonny d · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 40

Everyone knows that the best way to do this is to pound or drill some holes in the rock every pitch and insert a soil moisture meter. If the moisture exceeds 10%, then you should bail.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

Parties got rained out of RR this morning, with more rain forecasted tomorrow and then again on Saturday.

Combine that with the 1.5" we got last weekend and its going to be pretty damp around here through the early part of next week. I'd say probably Monday afternoon at the absolute earliest for sport and probably Tuesday or later for the canyons.

If I was planning a trip here, I'd probably re-adjust and head to JTree instead.

frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 96
eli poss wrote: I've heard the St George area has a lot of good limestone. If you're into hard sport look into the virgin river gorge
The rule of thumb I've always been told here in RR is 2 days. It might be okay after a day but most of the people I know err on the side of caution rather risk changing a route.
Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215

I was in Red Rock yesterday (12/21) in the Calico Hills all day. It hailed for roughly 15 seconds around 9am. Then it was off and on clouds/partly cloudy until 4:30p, when it started hailing again, turning to rain shortly after. It then continued to rain for a solid half hour.

The West side of Las Vegas where I live got about 3.5 hours of rain this morning, and I'm assuming even more so in Red Rock proper.

I've cancelled my guide work in Red Rock for today (Thursday), Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. With the low temperatures and mild winds predicted for the "sunny" days after three solid days of rain/snow/moisture, Climbing in Red Rock is inadvisable. A full two days of drying would be minimum, with the possibility of more being necessary.

Have a nice holiday season.

Point-Click Zone Weather Report for the loop road: forecast.weather.gov/MapCli…;lon=-115.47111511230469#.WFwIDrYrJE5

Today's measurements so far:

Red Rock Precip Level 12/22/16
BrokenChairs BrettC · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 245
Piotrek wrote:Hi everyone, I am a total newbie to both sandstone and Red Rocks but I am planning to go there to climb for Christmas. I am aware that sandstone is a bit special as for weather and needs some more time to dry up. I checked the weather for coming weekend: google.com/search?q=red+roc…;ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 and it seems that is is going to rain from Fri evening till Sat morning. Now question to all people familiar with the area. Based on the forecast do you think it will be possible to climb in the area on Sat and/or even Sun? I was once or twice to Nevada itself so I do not even know how rain looks like there. Piotr
Thanks for hitting me up!! Long time no see how have you been friend? I'm heading to Seattle tomorrow so it looks like we're crossing paths in the opposite direction. If you pass through SLC on you way back up hit me up and we can go skiing or try to find something to climb or maybe meet down in the desert next weekend.
Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0

Rainbow Canyon?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply