Where would you sell stolen gear?

Original Post
P.C. · · Austin, TX · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 21

Had my truck window smashed in and most of my climbing gear stolen last night down here in Austin. I don't think they were climbers or looking for climbing gear specifically. Just assume that previous statement is true if you're going to read further.

Most of the gear was well-loved, with the exception of some shiny new aliens, and includes cams, stoppers, draws, slings, cordalette, lockers, grigri, reversos, TC Pros, BD helmet, harness, chalk bag, back packs, down jacket, marmot shell, and head lamp.

If you were the person(s) who took this, and weren't a climber, and weren't going to just throw my shit away, where and how would you sell it or unload it?

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,037
P.C. wrote:Had my truck window smashed in and most of my climbing gear stolen last night down here in Austin. I don't think they were climbers or looking for climbing gear specifically. Just assume that previous statement is true if you're going to read further. Most of the gear was well-loved, with the exception of some shiny new aliens, and includes cams, stoppers, draws, slings, cordalette, lockers, grigri, reversos, TC Pros, BD helmet, harness, chalk bag, back packs, down jacket, marmot shell, and head lamp. If you were the person(s) who took this, and weren't a climber, and weren't going to just throw my shit away, where and how would you sell it or unload it?
Craigslist
BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

^this or offer up, letgo etc...

GregMiller · · Louisville, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0

Do pawnshops take climbing gear?

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,038

Definitely check pawnshops. The closest one to here is over in Durango and they always have climbing gear for sale.

Shadrock · · Here and there. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 263

I'd canvas some of the used sporting goods stores in Austin. There used to be a "Play it Again" Sports when I was living there several years ago. I doubt they'd have the rack, but they might take the helmets and harnesses. I'd look at used clothing stores for the jackets: maybe Buffalo exchange or somewhere? Sorry to hear it man, best of luck.

Rolf Rybak · · BC · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 121

In Skaha it was found at an outdoor weekend Flea Market, probably second owner after thief but the police were notified and they threatened the seller with a charge of possession of stolen goods, he gave the gear back.

John Ryan · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 150

Definitely check area pawn shops as this is a common method of getting rid of stuff quickly. Check eBay as well as I've sold used climbing gear on there and have been shocked at how high auctions have gone.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,865

I was totally expecting to see "Asking for a friend" in this post.

Paul Sunby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Hey P.C., I found some climbing gear in a park in south Austin this morning. You can call or text me at 512.663.0231 to see if it's yours. Paul

simplyput · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0
Paul Sunby wrote:Hey P.C., I found some climbing gear in a park in south Austin this morning. You can call or text me at 512.663.0231 to see if it's yours. Paul
This. Recently a friend's car got smashed into and his pack stolen. All the gear was found around the corner in an alley.
I have also found two complete ultralight kits in a dumpster with telltale window glass still in the mesh pockets.
I think people break into cars hoping the visible packs have high value, easy to flip electronics and when they find ropes and carabiners they get confused and just dump the shit.
I have had the same experience with thousands of dollars worth of surfing kit in s friends van. The meter change was clearly more valuable.
ICTOAN Bond · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0
simplyput wrote: This. Recently a friend's car got smashed into and his pack stolen. All the gear was found around the corner in an alley. I have also found two complete ultralight kits in a dumpster with telltale window glass still in the mesh pockets. I think people break into cars hoping the visible packs have high value, easy to flip electronics and when they find ropes and carabiners they get confused and just dump the shit. I have had the same experience with thousands of dollars worth of surfing kit in s friends van. The meter change was clearly more valuable.
The only thing I'm taking from this is that I need to check alley dumbsters more.
simplyput · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0
ICTOAN wrote: The only thing I'm taking from this is that I need to check alley dumbsters more.
Just relating experience.
One might also take away that if gear is stolen via the smash and grab technique, it might behoove one to search the immediate area as hard to sell, stolen goods often get ditched close by.
Conversely, try as I might, I can't seem to find the take away in your response...
Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 140

Definitely check the immediate area. While in HA, doing the Kalalau trail in Kauai. Windows were smashed and didn't have hardly ANYTHING in the car, but there was an underwater camera (film) a guide book, a few other nick knacks, when we got back to the car it was late, dark, raining, cold, so we left, reported it to the police. Came back 2 days later - found about 80% of the stuff scattered over a mile leading away from the car. Probably could have found the rest of it had it been worth continuing to walk around, I stopped after getting the guide book and camera though, that was all I wanted. While in La Paz Mexico, the Tacoma got robbed, took shoes, digital camera, and all our food. We went to all the pawn shops looking for the camera, I would have left the camera and just taken the memory card.... to no avail though. funny though, that every camera I checked, still had the memory card and tons of pictures of only white people on airplanes and beaches.

ICTOAN Bond · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0
simplyput wrote: Just relating experience. One might also take away that if gear is stolen via the smash and grab technique, it might behoove one to search the immediate area as hard to sell, stolen goods often get ditched close by. Conversely, try as I might, I can't seem to find the take away in your response...
It's cause you're looking too hard. It's purely surface, I'm practically all Id when I post online. I wanted to make a dumb one sentence joke to your post and so I did. I apologise if you took it for more than it was. (Not sarcasm. Tone is hard on the internet)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply