Mountain Project Logo

Looking For Ice Climbing Partners in Southern and Central Idaho

Original Post
Michael McNutt · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Hey all, as we continue to see temperature drops and delve deeper into winter, I am looking for partners that are interested in ice climbing/backcountry skiing. I have the gear required, and can lead WI 3.

As for backcountry, I have taken my Avy 1 cert, own avalanche recovery gear, and a splitboard. I can hop on just about anything, barring cliff hucking. The steepest descent I've done was McGowan N. Couloir. I currently live in the Boise area, and would love to ski with others in the Bogus Basin Backcountry as well.

Sadly, my days off are Wed. and Thursday, so I realize it is a long shot to try and find people that have coinciding days off.

Post a reply or message me so that we can get in touch if any of you fine folks are interested.

-Michael M.

Brandon McSparin · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 50

Hey there Michael! I am also a splitboarder with my avy 1 and I am just starting to get into ice climbing! I feel very comfortbale with anything WI3, I haven't had a chance to really get on anything steeper yet though.

I typically have either Wednesday or Thursday off, or at least one of the mornings believe it or not.

Spencer Roedel · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

In Boise until the second, down for anything
208-283-5475

Kevin F · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 5

I'm interested in meeting some local (or regional) ice climbers and backcountry skiers as well. Last summer I moved to Boise from Colorado.

I have ice climbing gear and a number of WI 3 leads under my belt.

I also have a backcountry ski set-up and avy gear.

Saturdays and Sundays are the best days for me to get out.

Vanessa Fabian · · Twin Falls, ID · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 550

Hey all, 

Also in Idaho - but currently staying in twin falls. Don't have a backcountry split set up - yet - but Im happy leading WI3, have my avy 1, and maybe leading WI4 this season... if i'm feeling strong. Let me know if you all can go out. Looks like were starting to get some decent ice down here.

Hey Vanessa, how's the ice looking in the canyon?  I figured it wasn't cold enough yet.

Brandon McSparin · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 50

Hello Vanessa! I also would love to hear how the ice is starting to look down that way! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you are ever in need of a partner!

The classic spots along 21 in-between grandjean and Stanley aren't nearly ready, and they have been having single didgit nights.  I'd be surprised if anything was climbable down in the valley.  Hopefully it still remains cold once the inversion clears.

jackmarr Marr · · Boise ID · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 0

Hi all-- I am an experienced bc skiier in Boise, alpine/trad/rock climber,AVI1, great belayer, lots of gear, a 4WD, and can follow lots of ice/mixed and starting to lead ice (have lead a few easy WI2/3s) ... Looking to get out a bunch especially through first week of Jan. Phone: 208 eight91 five367 or PM me here. Lots hope for some more snow and ice! Jack

Vanessa Fabian · · Twin Falls, ID · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 550

so anyone wanna climb rock this week? there's no ice really.... i'm looking for partners! :)

Jacob Wilson · · Moscow, ID · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hey everyone! I'm out of Moscow, Idaho and I'm heading down south this weekend to meet some friends at Sun Valley. Seeing if anyone is interested in climbing ice on Friday (1/19? Or maybe doing a back-country tour? I'm an avid splitboarder, have my avy one, and can lead easy WI3. I can follow whatever. Have gear, will travel. It doesn't have to be near Sun Valley, I'm happy to add a few hours to my drive, if means getting on some ice. Thanks! (630) 779-3692

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply