Fun Scambles in Joshua Tree

Original Post
P.K. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 0

I will be in the Palm Springs area around Christmas with family. I am trying to sneak out to Joshua Tree for a day with some cousins. I am not bringing climbing gear, but looking for day hike routes with some fun scrambling (4th class, low 5th class).

I have not been able to find a ton of info online, but Rattlesnake Canyon near Indian Cove looks promising. Anybody have beta on this or other suggestions? Any info is appreciated.

dperry427 · · La Habra, California · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 5

Cap rock is always fun, there is an easy way to scramble to the top under the cap. It takes a bit of low 5th class near the top so slippery tennies are not advised. The last part is a little heady but all the holds are big 'ol jugs. All in all it has easy scrambling and gives great views of the park from the top.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 551

If you park at Jumbo and walk west across the road into the domes out there there are super fun scrambles to the top and the is a chasm style jaunt through one of the domes as well(hard to remember but the entrance is on the east face of the 2nd-4th dome).

Wonderland will obviously have you doing fun scrambles to your hearts content.

P.K. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 0
George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 76
P.K. wrote:I have not been able to find a ton of info online, but Rattlesnake Canyon near Indian Cove looks promising. Anybody have beta on this or other suggestions? Any info is appreciated.
I hear if you keep going back far enough, eventually the going gets steep enough that you may want a rope and bit of gear. Enjoy, but stay safe.
Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 551

I was referring to the area with the blue dot. There is a few really cool scrambles that lead to awesome chill out spots on the "summits"

George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 76

Bouldering doesn't generally appeal to me, but Gunsmoke is pretty awesome.

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

It's not really a hike, but the summit of cyclops rock is a fun scramble and a great perch, especially in late afternoon.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 12,867

P.K. ... Ryan Mountain, Pinto Mountain, Rattlesnake Canyon, Lost Horse Mine, the Wonderland, and Queen Mountain are all fun destinations. Get a map at the entrance kiosk/station and let the adventure begin.

Neyma Jahan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 65

Find Barker dam and then nail that giant slab behind it. It just keeps going

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply