Mountain Project Logo

Fun Scambles in Joshua Tree

Original Post
P.K. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 5

I will be in the Palm Springs area around Christmas with family. I am trying to sneak out to Joshua Tree for a day with some cousins. I am not bringing climbing gear, but looking for day hike routes with some fun scrambling (4th class, low 5th class).

I have not been able to find a ton of info online, but Rattlesnake Canyon near Indian Cove looks promising. Anybody have beta on this or other suggestions? Any info is appreciated.

dperry427 Perry · · La Habra, California · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 70

Cap rock is always fun, there is an easy way to scramble to the top under the cap. It takes a bit of low 5th class near the top so slippery tennies are not advised. The last part is a little heady but all the holds are big 'ol jugs. All in all it has easy scrambling and gives great views of the park from the top.

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392

If you park at Jumbo and walk west across the road into the domes out there there are super fun scrambles to the top and the is a chasm style jaunt through one of the domes as well(hard to remember but the entrance is on the east face of the 2nd-4th dome).

Wonderland will obviously have you doing fun scrambles to your hearts content.

P.K. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 5

Great suggestions, thanks. Mike Brady, are you referring to the area more north and west (Conan's Corridor on here) or the other formations circled in blue? It has been years since I have been out there.
George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 62
P.K. wrote:I have not been able to find a ton of info online, but Rattlesnake Canyon near Indian Cove looks promising. Anybody have beta on this or other suggestions? Any info is appreciated.
I hear if you keep going back far enough, eventually the going gets steep enough that you may want a rope and bit of gear. Enjoy, but stay safe.
Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392

I was referring to the area with the blue dot. There is a few really cool scrambles that lead to awesome chill out spots on the "summits"

George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 62

Bouldering doesn't generally appeal to me, but Gunsmoke is pretty awesome.

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 85

It's not really a hike, but the summit of cyclops rock is a fun scramble and a great perch, especially in late afternoon.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 19,012

P.K. ... Ryan Mountain, Pinto Mountain, Rattlesnake Canyon, Lost Horse Mine, the Wonderland, and Queen Mountain are all fun destinations. Get a map at the entrance kiosk/station and let the adventure begin.

Neyma Jahan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 65

Find Barker dam and then nail that giant slab behind it. It just keeps going

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Fun Scambles in Joshua Tree"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started