Mountain Project Logo

looking for saturday 12/24 VT smugglers' notch ice partner

Original Post
jdonigan · · Brooklyn · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 25

Hello!

I am looking for a partner for some ice climbing saturday 12/24 at smugglers' notch. I can be there as early as needed and need to be back in williston by 4 ish. I haven't led any ice yet but I have a year of ice experience (much more rock experience) following multi pitch up to WI4. So basically looking for a rope gun who is in need of a safe and attentive belayer and partner and willing to take me up and show me around. Let me know if this works for anyone!

thanks!

James

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Safe and attentive is kind of a moot point in ice climbing. that should be a given anyways. The most important atribute I look for in an ice partner other than being fun to be arround is Speed. Being safe and attentive does us no good if we freeze to death. Even if the leader takes a long time on a difficult pitch it is the 2nds job to make that time up. the belay should be broken down to the last screw before the leader tells you that you are on belay and you need to move fast. At belays help get things organized and be fast and efficiant with the ropes without rushing. Smooth steady keeping busy. Yes you want to be safe but being fast is part of being safe.
Not busting on you at all. just offering some insight on what makes a good ice climbing partner.

jdonigan · · Brooklyn · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 25

thanks for that, Nick. I appreciate your experienced advice.

I am indeed fun to be around, efficient, and fast.

Still looking for a partner!

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

tough day to get a permission slip for most folks.. i will likly solo something that won't take too much time....

Phil Schuld · · Holderness, NH · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 180

Sent you a PM James

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply