Safety crossing into Mexico at Nuevo Laredo


Original Post
Kimberley Flores · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

Had anyone heard any recent safety reports crossing into Nuevo Laredo? I'm just wondering if anything has heightened since the election.

Miguel Ramirez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

bumping because i want to know also. will be driving from CO

Kimberley Flores · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

When are you planning on Crossing?

Miguel Ramirez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
Kimberley Flores wrote:When are you planning on Crossing?
Will depend on the snow we get here in colorado. I need to pick up some friends at the monterrey airport on the 27th. I may leave colorado this thursday or friday tho. When and from where were you planning on traveling?
Kimberley Flores · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

We actually decided to fly at the last minute due to less time than we thought we had. Also coming from Colorado--Boulder area. You? We'll be flying in tomorrow (the 22nd.) Good luck with the drive! Where are you staying? We're at La Posada. Maybe we'll meet?

WMcD · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 170

I've driven across a couple times this fall and things feel pretty tranquilo. I've been crossing at Colombia, not in Laredo proper, but I do that mostly out of habit and because I'm most familiar with those roads.

I sometimes keep tabs on borderlandbeat.com during my Mexico driving season. I haven't watched it carefully this year but I haven't seen reports of a rash of horrific violence in Nuevo Laredo or Monterrey. That website can be pretty heinous: remember that millions of people lead quiet, peaceful lives every day all over Mexico. That said, there's no need to hang around in Nuevo Laredo or anywhere else on the road to Monterrey.

I never drive at night in Mexico. People do it all the time, but I don't.

I think its best to cross in Laredo or the Colombia bridge. Avoid the road from Reynosa to Monterrey.

Expect to spend a couple hours in line getting your car permit if you plan to cross anytime between now and Christmas. Everyone is heading home for the holidays. If you cross back right after New Years, expect an equally long line to cancel the permit.

If you are heading south on I-35 and need a place to sleep in your vehicle before crossing in the morning, the La Salle county rest area is 50 miles north of the border and a deluxe interstate bivy. It is freakishly nice. goo.gl/maps/rPp1bNeycb82

Enjoy!

j sittler · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Crossed at Laredo ten days ago, came back to the States today, totally safe. As of now, there is currently no wall. Be smart, take the toll road (Monterrey cuota), try not to drive at night, and you'll be totally fine. Enjoy EPC!

Miguel Ramirez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
WMcD wrote:I've driven across a couple times this fall and things feel pretty tranquilo. I've been crossing at Colombia, not in Laredo proper, but I do that mostly out of habit and because I'm most familiar with those roads. I sometimes keep tabs on borderlandbeat.com during my Mexico driving season. I haven't watched it carefully this year but I haven't seen reports of a rash of horrific violence in Nuevo Laredo or Monterrey. That website can be pretty heinous: remember that millions of people lead quiet, peaceful lives every day all over Mexico. That said, there's no need to hang around in Nuevo Laredo or anywhere else on the road to Monterrey. I never drive at night in Mexico. People do it all the time, but I don't. I think its best to cross in Laredo or the Colombia bridge. Avoid the road from Reynosa to Monterrey. Expect to spend a couple hours in line getting your car permit if you plan to cross anytime between now and Christmas. Everyone is heading home for the holidays. If you cross back right after New Years, expect an equally long line to cancel the permit. If you are heading south on I-35 and need a place to sleep in your vehicle before crossing in the morning, the La Salle county rest area is 50 miles north of the border and a deluxe interstate bivy. It is freakishly nice. goo.gl/maps/rPp1bNeycb82 Enjoy!
t=Thanks for the reply. Whats the beta on spending the night at that rest area? is overnight parking legal? i was planing on sleeping at a motel parking lot on either Uvalde or Carrizo Springs, TX. Might stop at the place you reccomended if its that nice. Also, do you have the car insurance? Do you think its worth it if im only spending 12 days down there?
Miguel Ramirez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
Kimberley Flores wrote:We actually decided to fly at the last minute due to less time than we thought we had. Also coming from Colorado--Boulder area. You? We'll be flying in tomorrow (the 22nd.) Good luck with the drive! Where are you staying? We're at La Posada. Maybe we'll meet?
Gonna be staying at Posada also! Nos vemos ahi!
Miguel Ramirez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0
j sittler wrote:Crossed at Laredo ten days ago, came back to the States today, totally safe. As of now, there is currently no wall. Be smart, take the toll road (Monterrey cuota), try not to drive at night, and you'll be totally fine. Enjoy EPC!
Did you get the mexican car insurance? deating on if its worth it for only 12 days
WMcD · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 170

Overnight parking in that rest area is legal. There is 24 hour security, wifi (I think), and the bathrooms are insanely clean. I doubt they want you to pitch a tent there.

Get car insurance for mexico. If you don't plan to drive once you arrive, one option is to just purchase insurance for the two days you'll be driving to/from the border. This should be less than $40.

j sittler · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Definitely get Mexican car insurance, everyone we talked to had it, it's cheap (we paid $60 for 10 days) and if something were to happen and you didn't have it, it's possible you could go to jail until they determined "fiscal responsobolity"

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128
j sittler wrote:Definitely get Mexican car insurance, everyone we talked to had it, it's cheap (we paid $60 for 10 days) and if something were to happen and you didn't have it, it's possible you could go to jail until they determined "fiscal responsobolity"
It's somewhat cheap (although still quite a bit more than in the USA) for liability only, but if you have a vehicle worth protecting it's somewhat expensive for full coverage. The cheapest quote I got is more than double what I normally pay for full coverage and with triple the deductible.

On a side note, has anyone tried driving to EPC without taking the toll roads, or is it legitimately unsafe to venture off the tolls?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply