Mountain Project Logo

Boulder/Denver Training Discussion Group

Original Post
Brian Carver · · Louisville, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 35

Recently I've been building my own training program. This has led me to look very deeply into some of the more popular training books available and their sources of research. Although I know a lot of climbing research is still young and that most of these authors have done a tremendous job, there is still plenty of information that is open to interpretation.

I am looking for like minded individuals to debate, learn, discuss, and experiment with. Maybe you are an advanced PhD or a high school dropout. Maybe you climb 5.6, maybe you climb 5.14c. The only requirements are that you are open to new ideas and concepts and that you are ok with being right and/or wrong. Even if we do not uncover any new advanced training concepts, at least we can gain new insight and some new ideas.

Ideally we could meet 1-2 times a month and have topics that we are prepared to discuss. Post here or send me a PM if interested.

Jon Welchans · · Longmont Colorado · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 75

I'm interested.

Just now getting into training. I'm about 3 weeks into my first hang board cycle, and having just started researching ALL the info out there (a lot of it conflicting), I'm very interested in what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for starting this thread.

SmittyClimbs · · West Vail, CO · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Definitely something I'd be interested in as well. I'm a Physical Therapist and avid boulderer, looking to get into some sport climbing sooner than later, and with that in mind want to improve before getting on the wall. I have some thoughts regarding research out of the University of Texas as well as a history training with a Division 1 track program.
I recently moved to Vail and the indoor climbing options here are abismal at best, and I would like to maintain if not improve over the winter months. I will be implementing a program which combines current training as well as experimenting with my own.

Andrew Hildner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 20

Steve (F*cking) House's book "Training for the New Alpinism" is one of the best researched and comprehensive books out there that is more specific to climbing. It focuses heavily on a good balance of cardio too (since alpinists have to actually approach their climbs ;) ), but has useful science and training regimens for upper body and climbing strength. Metolius also has useful beta on finger/forearm-specific training, both documents and links to youtubes.

Andrew V · · Denver CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

I'm moving to the Denver area in the middle of January and am interested in such a group as well. I have a long time interest in training and its done wonders for my climbing.

Dark Helmet · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 995

Just an fyi, this community exists already online @ reddit.com/r/climbharder ... worth checking out.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Boulder/Denver Training Discussion Group"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started