Super Glue or New Skin?


Original Post
Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I am a chemist by day, and constantly come into contact with broken glassware. In fact, just today a gouged out a bit of skin on the side of my right middle finger (middle knuckle). I should have probably reported it, but unless I lose a digit, I don't consider anything smaller worth worrying about. I finished the day with just a few bandaids to stop the bleeding.

At home I applied New Skin. But I will be climbing tomorrow and was wondering about anyones thoughts on whether super glue would be a better option. I'll also be taping a bandaid over it so if it starts bleeding again, I won't bleed all over the wall

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456

My suggestion would be to apply anti-biotic ointment over the wound and tape over it with cloth tape or athletic tape. Use either tincture of benzoin or super glue away from the wound to help the tape stick.

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

So don't use new skin on it right away? For normal flappers I just cut away the loose skin and use Neosporin or Jtree climbing salve. This is the first time using something else because of the nature of the cut

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

The New Skin should be adequate, with a Band-Aid backup. Besides, the injury is on your knuckle, so you won't be climbing on it, right?

No need for Super Glue.

New Skin

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

It's on the inside of the knuckle, touching my index finger. So it won't come into direct contact with any holds, but it will stretch and possibly rip open more from the stress and tension of gripping.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456
Baba Fats wrote:So don't use new skin on it right away? For normal flappers I just cut away the loose skin and use Neosporin or Jtree climbing salve. This is the first time using something else because of the nature of the cut
No, it's fine to use new skin on it. However, I'd put antibiotic ointment on before the new skin. I would definately tape over it, and again use something to make the tape stick to your hand. Supergluing it shut seems like a good way to get an infection. If you're worried it will stretch and rip open then stick to some moderates and don't do crank on the crimps too much.
wing thing · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 80
eli poss wrote: No, it's fine to use new skin on it. However, I'd put antibiotic ointment on before the new skin. I would definately tape over it, and again use something to make the tape stick to your hand. Supergluing it shut seems like a good way to get an infection. If you're worried it will stretch and rip open then stick to some moderates and don't do crank on the crimps too much.
New skin consists of polymers including acrylates. Putting antibiotic ointment on new skin or liquid bandage weakens the bonds and causes the bandage to fall off. It's recommended that you wash the wound in clean water and soap, dry the wound and apply the new skin. Don't place any petroleum based ointment on the new skin.
eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456
wing thing wrote: New skin consists of polymers including acrylates. Putting antibiotic ointment on new skin or liquid bandage weakens the bonds and causes the bandage to fall off. It's recommended that you wash the wound in clean water and soap, dry the wound and apply the new skin. Don't place any petroleum based ointment on the new skin.
touche. I haven't a lot experience using the liquid bandage kind of stuff. Too expensive for me. In that case, honey might be a better alternative. Anything, really, to keep the skin moist, as the moisture accelerates collagen production.
BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790

or keep it clean and simple by swabbing with isopropyl. Sealing honey under new skin is basically setting up an artificial blister. Gross.

hikingdrew · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 25

New skin already has an antibiotic in it, the ingredients are:
Ingredient Purpose
Benzethonium Chloride 0.2% Antiseptic (First aid to help prevent bacterial contamination in minor cuts and scrapes)
Inactive Ingredients

Amyl acetate, camphor, ethyl acetate, ethyl alcohol, n-butyl acetate, nitrocellulose

The nitrocellulose is the main 'skinning' ingredient and the camphor is what makes it sting like a mother..

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply