Mountain Project Logo

What's it called when...

Original Post
Jeff Lee11 · · Thousand Oaks, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

I was doing this climb with two finger pockets the other day. I had all my weight on my right hand's middle + ring fingers when I felt a twinge in my ring finger. The tendon doesn't hurt when I squeeze it, and the muscle doesn't hurt at all, but whenever I try to pull something with my ring finger, I feel a similar twinge that prevents me from fully utilizing that finger. I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the nerve.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What's this experience called? Is there a specific method of recovering from this? I searched online, but all I could find were muscle or tendon related.

drewdogg2112 · · halifax, MA · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

sounds like a strained pully tendon or a slight tear.
did you have the middle finger or ring finger on bottom? where does it hurt when you use it? at the base where your finger meets palm, first knuckle, or second knuckle, side of finger or underside of finger?
might help get you more info with more specifics.
most likely ice, rest, a few shots of tequila and a beer or 3 will help.

Jeff Lee11 · · Thousand Oaks, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

I had the ring finger on bottom. I feel the pain at the base of the finger between the finger and palm. It doesn't hurt when I'm relaxed or when I squeeze the joint tendon, but it does hurt when I put a lot of weight on the ring finger while pulling something.
I guess I'll take it easy this weekend. Thanks for your input.

David Deville · · Flagstaff, Arizona · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 70

Lol... "pully tendon"

John Tex · · Estes · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 25

Sounds like my a2 pulley strain. I partially ruptured my a4 and strained my a2 at the same time. Don't experience pain but a strange pressure or sense that it's shouldn't pull anymore. My a2 feels it right where you describe. I've been out about 8 months and still can't crimp... wishing you better luck.

drewdogg2112 · · halifax, MA · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20
DLDeville wrote:Lol... "pully tendon"
Hey Im just trying to talk laymen's terms here. Not everyone is an anatomy and physiology major ~(:
Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 105

Pockets are evil. Stay away from them.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "What's it called when..."
in the General Climbing

Log In to Reply