Cam re-slinging PSA

Original Post
Adam S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

Just a PSA to anyone thinking about sending in cams to be re-slung...

I sent in a rack of 10 to Yates for re-slinging. Apparently their PO box was broken into and not only was my box of cams stolen, but my credit card info that was written on their order form was stolen and charged. Thank god my bank covered to fraud charges, but I'm down a set of cams. Understandably, Yates said I was on my own regarding replacing the cams. Should have paid for extra insurance...Anyways,I would suggest a hand-deliver if you are in or around California, or at a minimum insure the hell out of your package.

gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Bummer. It should be common practice when sending hundreds to thousands of doll hairs in the mail...always insure the package. Mailing 101.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,575

Several services require insurance..a good idea..resolers..new slings etc

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

That's pretty ridiculous, though. TBH they should have comped you the set. Even if not legally required, that was pretty clearly a security issue on their end and would have been a smart way of recovering/preserving their reputation.

climber pat · · Las Cruces, NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 185

It seems to me that if the package was delivered to the PO Box then the postal service responsibility is over and it is now Yates or the PO Box company's (which could be the post office or some third party) responsibility. I don't think insurance would pay up.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500
Adam S wrote:Just a PSA to anyone thinking about sending in cams to be re-slung... I sent in a rack of 10 to Yates for re-slinging. Apparently their PO box was broken into and not only was my box of cams stolen, but my credit card info that was written on their order form was stolen and charged. Thank god my bank covered to fraud charges, but I'm down a set of cams. Understandably, Yates said I was on my own regarding replacing the cams. Should have paid for extra insurance...Anyways,I would suggest a hand-deliver if you are in or around California, or at a minimum insure the hell out of your package.
PSA regarding writing your credit card info down- don't ever do it. Make them call you for it.

Sorry you lost your cams- hopefully you can find a good holiday sale around to pick a replacement set up.
Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,040

Just spoke w/our local post master, i live in/near Redding as it so happens. The long and short of it is even if you had insured it through the PO insurance would not have covered it as it was "delivered". So don't kick your self too hard.
And really, i would not expect Yates to cover it, they never saw it. The package, when ripped, was in that catch 22 grey area, neither here nor there.
Bummer.
Is it worth pursuing as a home loss? Renters insurance? Just trying here.
And yes, usually/always, insure for full+ value, though as i said, in this case the package was delivered, and no longer insured.
Oh, local postmaster did say it might be worth contacting the office where this happened and see if there is a police report, and if there is something they are doing?
And as always, keep an eye on CL. If your stupid enough to rip a post office, federal crime, your stupid enough to try and sell it.

steverett · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 40
Muscrat wrote:Just spoke w/our local post master, i live in/near Redding as it so happens. The long and short of it is even if you had insured it through the PO insurance would not have covered it as it was "delivered".
So even if it is a USPS-owned PO box, that's not covered by postal insurance? I guess in that case, you'd have to request a signature too (it won't be put in the PO box, and won't count as "delivered" until the recipient signs).

EDIT: If it's insured for over $500, a signature is required anyway (4.3.1.c):

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#ep1063624
Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I can't be sure, but I would imagine whoever manages the PO box would be responsible for the security of it's contents, and be insured against theft - which you could make a claim against.

If, for some reason, there is no police report of it, I'd say Yates is still on the hook as they technically took delivery of it. At worst THEIR insurance should cover it. If they aren't insured against that, well..

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 28

Was the PO box broken into or did someone acquire a key and open it? Someone getting the key and collecting the contents is far more plausible than someone breaking into a post office or an individual PO box.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply