Golden CO to Sonora CA

Original Post
Ryan Marsters · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 848

Hi,

I have an opportunity to move to Sonora CA from Golden CO for work. Can anybody help me out with some of the pros/cons around there?

-I'm an engineer/geologist (transferring PE/PG looks painful) and my wife is a nurse practitioner. Weekend warrior types.
-We're moderate climbers. Lead around 5.8-10 depending on the style.
-I enjoy alpine climbing, mountaineering, sustained scrambles, swift water or physical slot canyoneering, ice climbing (any?), and non mountain lion-y trail running. Learning to ski.

Colorado has great diversity and I love being able to run up several Flatirons on days not suited for alpine, or drive an hour for a snow or mixed couloir, but it is quite crowded sometimes. A basic MP search makes it seem like we'll have plenty of afterwork and weekend crag options, and I have some experience with the alpine scrambles around there.

Thanks,
Ryan

WadeM · · Golden, Co · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 280

Yo Ryan,

Sonora Pass is a pretty good place with plenty of rock to keep you busy. Close to yosemite and the high sierras, which in my opinion is better than colorado high country, but I grew up out there.

Downsides:
No Tour de Flatirons

Upsides:
Yosemite
Sierra highcountry
Way more quality granite

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

Roger Putnam is a geology Professor in Sonora so he'd probably be your best bet for pros and cons specific to your field in the Sonora area.

Roger has also been instrumental along with Munge, Brad Young, et al in developing the area up in Sonora. I can guarantee that there's much much much more to play with in Sonora than you'll find on MP and even in the updated guidebook.

Search Facebook for Roger Putnam at Columbia College or Supertopo user RP3

Ryan Marsters · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 848

Hey thanks for the replies! I'll give the suggestions a go. How's the vibe and community out there?

Freddy Brewster · · yosemite, Ca · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 30

I live in Groveland. Which is about 30-45 away from Sonora. Hit me up if you need a partner

G-Raw · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 101

Hit me up as well if you need a partner during the week.I'm off tues to Thurs weekly and from fall to spring I'm out there a bunch and always stoked to climb.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply