Mountain Project Logo

Barefoot Climbing ???

Original Post
Jared Wright 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

This dude sent kahuna roof a v5 out at cart lake. I guess im just curious as to if anyone else has some good barefoot climbing stories out there, they are impressive to say the least!

youtube.com/watch?v=HMfYALS…

Justin Barrett · · Russellville, AR · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 85

Got an okay story for you.

I was with a group climbing a V4 boulder, don't remember the name of it, but no one could quite make the last move. Basically you were making a pseudo-dyno to the top, but if you blew your feet and couldn't control your swing, you would pop off due to that bad swing. There was this tiny nib that would allow you to flag out and stop the swing, but no one's shoes were sticking.

So one guy said fuck it and took his shoe off. He sent it first try without his right shoe.

That hold was super slimey afterwards though. I guess it's great for people who swear they need the most sensitivity on a route.

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

In the 80s, East Germans and Czechs were sending up to 13- on poorly protected sandstone in the elbadstein, cesky raj, labe and adrspach areas, often without shoes.

PRRose · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

Google "Skip Guerin" and "barefoot"

Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 378

V5? How about V15!

Nick Grant · · Natick, MA & Tamworth, NH · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 15

My nomination for the Boss of Northeast Barefooting: Chris Smith

Adam Fleming · · Moab, Utah · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 303

The only barefoot climbing I've done is romping up the Second Flatiron. I was feeling spiritual and wanted to "really feel the rock."

It was fun, but edging wasn't an option. More power to ya if you want to send hard things sans shoes.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 307

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHbGH_VWD8g

Jared Wright 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

I heard about the v15 barefoot send that day at carter lake. Barefoot climbing is something I never considered but it seems to open up a whole new way of climbing! Great stories!

Eplumer400 · · Cleveland, OH · Joined May 2016 · Points: 100

For the people who have climbed without shoes, do you chalk your feet too? Is that what the large bouldering chalk bags are really for? Dipping your feet in?

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 235

All just depends on the route. Hardest boulder problem I have sent barefoot was a V5 and it was basically alot of 2 finger crimps that worked perfectly for a big toe. I also know tons of V1s I can't climb barefoot so it all just depends.

At one of our local crags I regularly climb barefoot anything 5.10 or easier.

TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvsgHWKJOUA&feature=youtu.be

Go to 4:12

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Henry Barber.

Barber 1

Barber 2

Skip Guerin

skip 1
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply