Looking For Ice Climbing Partner over X-Mas (Black Hills, SD)

Original Post
B o B · · Englewood, CO · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 75

Hey All,

This might be a little premature as I'm not certain what my schedule is going to look like, but I will be traveling from Denver to the Black Hills (SD) for Christmas (23rd - 26th). We will be staying near Deadwood/Lead area, and I would love to get on some ice in the Canyon. If anyone is around during those days and needs a partner (or doesn't mind one more person tagging along) please let me know. Either PM me or text/call Bobby @ six oh 5 - three 5 one - one 2 four 1.

Cheers!

JBernard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25

Hey Bob, I jumped on here to post exactly what you posted but lo and behold I found your post. I am flying out on Christmas eve and spending the week in Spearfish. I am trying to decide to pack the ice kit or leave it home ($100 RT check-on vs one free carry-on). I'd be up for some easy ice one day during the week there. I was kinda hoping to climb Bridal Veil Falls (if that is even legal?) I climbed it about 20 years ago along with the other hidden side stuff up there. Let me know if you are interested and I'll call your number.
Jim

Hey Jim,

I would love to connect and get on something with ya. We could check out Bridal for sure. I'm not sure about the laws regarding climbing it, but I know I've seen other parties on it before, and I'm fairly confident it's 100% legal. We could also check out 11th hr Gulch as well as the Amphitheater. I will be out there late Thursday night into Monday. Shoot me a text or call me at the number above and we can coordinate schedules.

P.S. I have all ice gear, so if you didn't want to bring everything on the plane I can supply most all of the gear to reduce your packing.

Steve Pulver · · Williston, ND · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 455

Any chance you guys would be willing to take an absolute beginner? I have boots and crampons, but only a straight ice axe. I've only used them once walking on ice, never on anything close to vertical. I'd only be interested in TR'ing something. Ive never had too much interest in ice, but I have Dec 23-26 off work with not much to do.

Hey Jim,

I'm very sorry, but I've had a major change of plans and will no longer be needing a partner over the weekend. It appears there are others that are interested in getting out, though. Have fun!

JBernard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25

Ok Bob no worries.

Steve, looks like you are an experienced rock climber. I assume you also have a harness and a helmet. Yeah, lets get together for some top-rope ice. I'll bring all my crap. You can use my axes. I will be landing on Saturday and will have family Christmas stuff on Sunday but otherwise I have all week.
Jim

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply