Job in SEKI

Original Post
C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 516

The National Park Service is seeking one GS-7 term ($19.18/hour), mixed tour, Lead Biological Science Technician for the Aquatic Ecosystems Program within the Division of Resources Management and Science in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks (SEKI), California. This position serves as the lead technician on a one to three year project to restore high elevation aquatic ecosystems in which native species have been adversely affected by non-native species. This position is estimated to start as early as January 15, 2017, and will be stationed at the Ash Mountain Headquarters in Sequoia National Park.

The Lead Biological Science Technician primarily assists the SEKI Aquatic Ecologist with implementation and management of aquatic ecosystems projects, including but not limited to restoration of endangered mountain yellow-legged frogs and high elevation aquatic ecosystems, monitoring of lakes, streams, amphibians, fish, and other aquatic biota, and facilitating scientific research of aquatic ecosystems. The incumbent will assist the Aquatic Ecologist with 1) recruiting personnel for field crews, 2) managing logistics in preparation for fieldwork, 3) providing supervision, orientation, training and mentoring for field crews, 4) overseeing field operations, 5) managing aquatic datasets, and 6) providing logistic and field support to the parks’ Inventory and Monitoring Program and to scientific research studies being conducted in SEKI. Other duties include conducting electronic entry, quality assurance/quality control and summary reporting of field data, and organizing and maintaining field equipment and supplies. Work will occur throughout SEKI, and will entail cooperation with other agencies, organizations, and cooperators. The incumbent will be supervised by the Aquatic Ecologist, will supervise temporary staff and function as crew leader for field crews, and will occasionally work with other division staff. The position will require extensive wilderness travel within SEKI, and occasional travel to meetings and/or trainings. Possession of a valid driver’s license is required.

To be competitive for this position, applicants must have 1) experience implementing projects involving aquatic fauna in high elevation ecosystems, 2) experience leading field crews and managing large datasets, 3) considerable backpacking experience in high elevation mountains, 4) the desire to work in remote wilderness for weeks at a time, and 5) a strong commitment to conducting ecological restoration.

Interested applicants must apply through the USAJOBS website to job announcement number SEKI 1867500: usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDeta...

Complete application packages must be submitted by Wednesday, December 14, 2016 to be considered for this position.

For general application questions, email Estella_Payne@nps.gov or call 559-565-3752.

For specific position questions, email Danny_Boiano@nps.gov

Morgan Patterson · · CT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,712

is $19 an hour 'good' or 'decent' pay for a position like this? Seem kinda low considering you are leading and managing projects with a specialized education.

And what does GS-7 term refer to?

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 516

Just passing along info that came across my desk this morning. I do not work for the NPS, and I have nothing to do with this ad. Just though it might be of interest for some recent biology grads who like the outdoors.

I would e-mail questions to the 2 addresses below

I can delete the post if people are not interested

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

Morgan - govt scale. Various grades that provide the pay range. Over the long term working for uncle sam isn't a bad gig with all the other benefits. Getting into a position from the outside is tough part. Usually the ads are just a required formality for someone on the inside already selected, or a recurring placeholder to grab resumes if there becomes a need in the future. So, if this is a chance to get in, it's probly a pretty cool job to start.

C Brooks wrote:I can delete the post if people are not interested
No No No... Please dont.. these were honest questions. I have a degree in environmental studies but havent a clue what jobs in that field pay and was curious.

Buff - Thnx def makes sense...
ChrisN · · Morro Bay, CA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 25

FYI: package is due tomorrow... not a quick thing to complete.

Carla R · · San Jose, CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 110
Buff Johnson wrote:Morgan - govt scale. Various grades that provide the pay range. Over the long term working for uncle sam isn't a bad gig with all the other benefits. Getting into a position from the outside is tough part. Usually the ads are just a required formality for someone on the inside already selected, or a recurring placeholder to grab resumes if there becomes a need in the future. So, if this is a chance to get in, it's probly a pretty cool job to start.
Pretty much spot on. The GS scale also is dependent on where you live....so a GS-7 in San Francisco Area would make more than a GS-7 in say... Inyo County...

But if you can get in to government don't ever leave.
Carla Rosa wrote: don't ever leave.
lol
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply