New Black Diamond ATC Pilot

Original Post
Paul Deger · · Colorado · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

Has anyone had access yet to the new ATC Pilot? Any first impressions? Any word on release dates?

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0

There was discussion on MP.com earlier this year - MP.com thread

My memory is little hazy, but IIRC someone mentioned that ATC Pilot is remarkably similar to a belay device from one of the European manufactures.

You decide - ATC Pilot

Salewa Ergo

Thanks for the comparison. Especially considering I just heard back from BD Pilot not released until Summer 2018.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0
Paul Deger wrote:Thanks for the comparison. Especially considering I just heard back from BD Pilot not released until Summer 2018.
Hopefully it will be better than the Salewa one, it hasn´t exactly got glowing reviews here in Germany on the forums, in fact everone seems completely indifferent to it.

Thanks Jim - almost all the reviews are other than English, so helpful to know what they have to say.

I was able to translate several reviews on the Salewa Ergo - enough positives to give it a go until 2018 when hopefully the Pilot comes out.

Yelmo Garcia · · Frankfurt, Germany · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

I just has a chance to use both the Mega Jul and Sawela Ergo. Between the two, I found the Ergo smoother for lowering and the MJ more grabby. Also the Ergo more positive passive breaking. The only downside I found with the Ergo was tendency for the break side rope to drift off the right side of the guide when lowering, which is a narrow metal edge. The pictures of the Pilot appear to have solved for this wear by rolling the edge of the metal.

John F Kelley · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

I hate rappelling with MJ, can't get it run smoothly. Makes me
Bounce to much. Nice if you have to work the rope tho, pretty much autolocks. But just haven't figured out a smooth rappel down the rope with it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply