Mountain Project Logo

has anyone tried these things?

Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

Someone has forwarded me a link to a bizarre (or innovative) looking SLCDs. Has anyone tried them, heard anything or otherwise has an opinion?

kalquin

PS. I don't climb much trad any more, so for me this purely a theoretical discussion

Jon Nelson · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,675

Judging by the history page on that site, it looks like a newer version of the Joker Pacin. There was a discussion about this cam earlier. One cam seems to fit into a huge range of crack sizes:

mountainproject.com/v/joker…

Long Ranger · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 75

It looks like a Spring Loaded Tricam Device with a quick release? My first thought is what could possibly go wrong with a quick release.

A lot of the videos on youtube demo these outside on limestone pockets, so... hmm.

Ben Stabley · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 171

So it works like a normal SLCD on the wider side, and like a tricam on the narrower side?

Oh I see, the trigger and the runner you clip in are two separate parts that attach to the axle I guess. I wonder if that's a design decision, or if there's a patent they needed to get around?

The design does sort of throw the idea out that the logarithmic spiral is crucial to the cam. The lower end of the range does seem to function more like a tricam, and two of the three lobes aren't even in much contact. I wonder how that changes the rating of the piece? Like, you could plug this into a tinier crack, but it's only good for bodyweight.

It would be cool if this was, "A better tricam", rather than, "a better cam", but I'm having a hard time understanding just what it is. I feel like a blind person, trying to describe an elephant, just by touching the trunk.

JK- · · SLC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 58

If I could figure out the website I'd buy one, just because I'm a gear whore like that.

Hmm, it does seem like the runner is off center for a reason - in the smallest cracks in its range, it does look like a tricam placement - the outer lobes aren't used. Which I think is kinda cool. Even the sling is made more rigid by wrapping it into something.

Description:
Ben Stabley · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 171
JK- wrote:If I could figure out the website I'd buy one, just because I'm a gear whore like that.
It's just over $100 (100 euro). The "buy" page is pretty obvious, but who knows if the checkout process would be as easy to figure out if you can't read Spanish.
Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 200

I'd be afraid to fall with those on my harness, everything on it looks like it wants to stab you lol.

patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25
LongRanger wrote:It looks like a Spring Loaded Tricam Device with a quick release? My first thought is what could possibly go wrong with a quick release.
Um... Most cams have a trigger release....

The main purpose of this cam's design is increase range.
LongRanger wrote:The design does sort of throw the idea out that the logarithmic spiral is crucial to the cam.
How so?

There is nothing magical about a logarithmic spiral except for maintaining a constant cam angle. I'd expect that a fair bit of the lobes are shaped like this.
cyclestupor · · Woodland Park, Colorado · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 93

It actually reminds me a lot of the Trango Max Cam (discontinued). The major differences i can see from the max cam are.

• Kalquin has 3 lobes, max cam had 4
  • Kalquin attaches runner to where the stem attaches in the max cam.
  • Kalquin has a seperate stem which is only there to hold the trigger assembly
  • Kalquin has wierd spike on the back side of outer lobes. Seems like this is to prevent walking & add stability maybe?

It's as if they took a max cam, fused the inner lobes into one lobe, and moved the trigger assembly.

I've never used a max cam, but from what I heard, they were very unstable cams. They walked very easily, and when they walked, the lobes would also shift in relation to eachother (undercamming some lobes & overcamming others). I also remember seeing a recall on them.

I wonder if this Kalquin thing is any better.
steverett · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105
LongRanger wrote:Oh I see, the trigger and the runner you clip in are two separate parts that attach to the axle I guess. I wonder if that's a design decision, or if there's a patent they needed to get around?
It looks like having the separate runner reduces the likelihood of it walking. They have some demo videos here (see the one titled "SIMULACIÓN EFECTO DEL PESO Y MOVIMIENTO DE LA CUERDA"):

kalquin.com/pruebas-realiza…
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply