"America The Beautiful" Annual Pass

Original Post
Crimp Nasty · · Chosstown, USA · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 615

Does anybody know why certain recreational sites are no longer recognizing America The Beautiful passes for discounts on camping fees? I know last year I used mine for 50% off of camping in Maple Canyon. This year it specifically states the America The Beautiful does not qualify... Thoughts?

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 472

https://www.recreation.gov/marketing.do?goto=acm/faqs/America_the_Beautiful___The_National_Parks_and_Federal_Recreational_Lands_Pass_Series.htm

This statement: "May provide a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services." is under "Senior Pass" and "Access Pass" but not under "Annual Pass"

Dunno. I have a senior pass

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Local FS campgrounds are often run/managed by a concessionaire under contract to the Forest Service. The contract will specify which passes they accept. I had this issue with a local FS campground that didn't accept the America the Beautiful pass and, after speaking with the FS, found out it varies depending on the contract.

The pass will allow you free access to any National Park where there is an "entrance fee." I wrote that in quotations because the pass is not accepted for getting into Devil's Postpile (not a national park, but federal land), where you pay an "interpretive fee" or some crap like that. Essentially, it is an entrance fee that is called something else.

Quite a few exceptions to the pass covering all federal lands.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply