Reno Gym / Gear Store

Original Post
beau Griffith · · Fresno, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

Lo and behold after I convinced myself I wouldn't have time to do any climbing while traveling for work I wound up with tomorrow off. I didn't bring any of my gear so I think outdoor is out but I was thinking about renting some shoes and bouldering and then maybe doing some shopping if there is a good gear store.

I saw there are a couple of gyms- do any locals feel strongly that one is better than the other?

Also is the Sierra Trading Post store worth the trip or should I just shop online?

Any other advice on how to best spend the day is appreciated!

M. Morley · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 6,330

There's a Patagonia Outlet store that you might want to check out. I believe there is a climbing gym in town but don't know anything about it.

http://www.patagonia.com/patagonia-outlet-reno-130-south-center-street-reno-nevada-89501/store_943024092.html

Dancog · · Sin City · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 0

Basecamp is worth an afternoons bouldering, they have a slack line and a full fitness room. If the weather is good they have a outdoor wall.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,055

Sierra Trading Post I visited frequently and bought very infrequently. It just seems to have a lot of booty gear, hardly anything you ever really want even at a discount. The most use I got was buying running shoes, probably 2 or 3 pairs.

Patagonia Outlet I bought maybe an item or two in that time as well. The discounts aren't that deep and the selection didn't seem that great. But I mostly had my bases covered with other brands already.

Basecamp I hear is not reset that frequently in the indoor area you'd likely be this time of year. I never got there so I don't know.

Reno Rocksport had fairly bad setting in my 4-5 years there, but it's better than nothing. There are a couple cracks that are on an autobelay there too that are a bit of fun.

With the weather, I can't really recommend anything as I'm not a winter sports guy.

Some good local hiking is Thomas Creek. The Hunters Creek hike is pretty nice too, gets back there to a water fall. There's a lot of dispersed hiking but I don't know what conditions will be there right now, probably not that great.

beau Griffith · · Fresno, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

I enjoyed Rock Sport- I may go back if I can and check out Base Camp but I thought Rock Sport had a pretty nice facility and routes graded much more in keeping with real life than my normal gym. Friendly staff and some fun bouldering problems. Great way to spend an afternoon.

Sierra Trading Post didn't have much stock but REI had a great selection and I actually bought some new shoes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply