Rock shoes and shoe allergies

Original Post
JakeGano · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

I'd like to hear from other people out there that climb and have "shoe allergies." Many years ago my doc diagnosed me with an allergy to potassium dichromate, which is used in tanning leather. I got rid of all my leather shoes. My all-synthetic shoes (evolv and five ten) still cause my feet to itch, bleed, etc. Anyone else deal with this? Any suggestions? Any brands easier on the feet than others? Wearing socks with my rock shoes helps a bit but doesn't eliminate the problem, plus I hate wearing socks. I use prescription steroid creams after I climb but I know I can't keep that up forever.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456

That really sucks, as leather shoes tend to provide a better fit. Is immunotherapy an option for the allergy? That along with socks might do it

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

That is a bummer.
LaSportiva makes Oxygym climbing shoes, they are being advertised as having fabric upppers. And, they are designed to be washed.

Curious - some Evolvs have synthetic uppers, do those provoke allergic reaction as well? Is the reaction less if you put your shoes through the wash cycle?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,755
JakeGano wrote:I'd like to hear from other people out there that climb and have "shoe allergies." Many years ago my doc diagnosed me with an allergy to potassium dichromate, which is used in tanning leather. I got rid of all my leather shoes. My all-synthetic shoes (evolv and five ten) still cause my feet to itch, bleed, etc.
That's a very specific diagnosis. I'd be curious to see how the Doc was able to determine it.

Disclaimer - I tend to be skeptical of a lot of off-beat "allergy" findings. Your experience post-leather tends to support my skepticism in this case.

IANAD but I would think the microbes in the shoes would be more likely to cause your dermatitis than any chemical used in the tanning process (and subsequently washed out of the finished leather).
Systematic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 351

Tenaya makes great synthetic shoes with a cotton-like lining.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply