We're hiring an experienced UX Designer to join us in Boulder, CO.
Mountain Project Logo

Ball nut question

Original Post
JK- Branin · · Southern New Hampshire · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 58

I have a couple old ball nuts and really like them. Looking to pick up one or two more, but they are no longer made by the company mine are from (Lowe/Byrne). Do the new Trango or CAMP ones follow the same size run and color scheme? Anyone had their hands on both and noticed differences between the CAMP and Trango ones I should now about?

apoet · · AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 193

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/trango-ball-nuts/107553669__1

Everything I have seen comparing the two brands still making them shows no difference. I don't know how sizing compares to the older ones though.

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 780
apoet wrote:https://www.mountainproject.com/v/trango-ball-nuts/107553669__1 Everything I have seen comparing the two brands still making them shows no difference. I don't know how sizing compares to the older ones though.
. . . Almost the same, just as good, or better, - newer.
Ball Nuts were invented in 1987 and brought to market by Lowe Alpine as Lowe Balls. They are now sold by CAMP and they have not changed much other than in a few minor structural details and improved trigger action. Trango’s Ball Nutz are very similar and are said to be made in the same factory. That is apparently what happens sometimes when a patent runs out. I have been happy with the CAMP version myself and the spec sheets show they are a bit lighter in most sizes. Here is a little intro to Ball Nuts by CAMP representative Glen Griscom:
youtu.be/pglcPqyOw6U
Jack C. · · Calgary, AB · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

Both company's ball nuts are the same, just printed with their own name. I heard tell somewhere they're even made in the same factory.

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

Funny, i have both brands. They do not look or feel the same. The trangos are older, might be the reason.
I much prefer the camp, better trigger feel.
And by the way, i have all 5 sizes, use them frequently. Just don't whip on them, they will weld. BTDT.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply