Mountain Project Logo

Wet bouldering in TAG areas?

Original Post
Kyle Butcher · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 35

How do the TAG crags (HP40, RTown, Stone Fort, Lilly Boulders, Hospital Boulders) dry in rain? I'm thinking of going up on Wednesday or Thursday to climb. How limited would I be? What crags are best to climb soon after rain?

Lohan · · Rome, GA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 345

Can't speak to hp40. Lilly boulders stay wet for quite a long time. Several days, if not more. Stone fort is quickest to dry, but rocktown stays dry longer into the rain. Both dry relatively quickly (of course there are some problems which stay wet longer than others). Sun will be the most important factor in how soon they dry.

Sweet. I think Rocktown closes tomorrow until the 10th anyways for the hunting season.

Lohan · · Rome, GA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 345

Where are the hunting dates posted? I was planning to get out this week

mountainproject.com/scripts…

This guy posted it the other week. I'm just going to Stone Fort so I don't risk it. Or maybe Zahnd.
Jordan Mitchell · · Lookout Mountain · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 40

I have heard that wet sandstone is weaker and more vulnerable to damage by climbers. I don't have a source but it might be something to consider.

Slayton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I don't really have any info on the question asked but I did get off work early today and am looking for someone in the North Georgia area that would like to get into some climbing today! Was thinking bouldering at yonah or anywhere else really. Down for sport also Shoot me a text 7068977149

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Wet bouldering in TAG areas?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started