Approach shoes for narrow heels

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

...here we go again. So, (story of my life:) I can't find shoes that fit both my foot length (size 112.5/13 US) and width (extremely narrow, especially in heels). I'm trying to find a decent pair of Approach shoes for...well, approaching (and light climbing), but everything I've tried is either too short (toes at the end/rubbing against the top) or too loose, causing heel slippage. I thought 5.10 would be the ticket, as Anasazis fit me perfectly, but alas...my heels were visibly slipping out of the shoe in a size 12 Guide Tennie. Also tried La Sportiva Boulder X, and it was worse. I do have a pair of Merrell Moabs that are super comfortable (very slight heel slip), but I'm hoping to find a more technical Approach shoe. Any ideas?

Matt..C · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 20

I have a fairly narrow heel, and I found that the Scarpa Crux worked well for me. I'm also looking at trying out the Adidas terrex or the Sportiva TX2 after winter.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Cool, will try those.

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 18

My Evolv Cruisers are very narrow. Super light, super compact. I really like them and have done alpine approaches up to 6mi (round trip) with them, very happy.

Cons not water proof at all, and so thin that kicking a rock accidentally hurts more than in comparable sneakers.

K-Tanz · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 205

I have a very low volume foot. The Sportiva Boulder X fits my narrow foot well. They are quite stiff and are almost more along the lines of a low top boot. Some people aren't into that sorta thing but I love them. $86 on Back Country right now

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply