Mountain Project Logo

Winter climbing areas?

Original Post
Jesse Jakomait · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 10

I have December 23rd through Jan 2 open to go on a road trip! Are there any good spots warm enough to climb in the US SW? I'll be starting from CO and enjoy 11's and 12's clipping bolts but I can handle a bit of Trad climbing on 10's or less. I climb at Shelf almost every weekend and would like to venture farther and see something different. I've thought about EPC but I'm a bit nervous driving my shiny truck over there. Anyone have any suggestions?

JaySnow · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 90

Jakomait, if you can head far west, hit up Red Rocks and JTree. Don't be surprised if you find lots of people there, though! I'm going to see how Zion, Bryce, and Moab are in a couple weeks -- I'm anticipating snow and don't mind just a good camp and some hiking/skinning if I can't get on the rock. Good luck -- I'll send an update if I remember.

Tristan Higbee · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970

As far as Utah goes, Moab can be too cold and snowy in winter, but it can also be good if conditions are right. St. George has warmer winter climbing and lots of good sport climbing.

Otherwise, Joshua Tree and Red Rocks are great winter climbing areas.

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

Look east friend. I'd keep a careful eye on the forecast. If Horseshoe Canyon Ranch/Obed/NRG/NC look warm they are probably a better winter destination than Joshua tree/Redrocks and no further of a drive. If you can decide a few days out based on the forecast it may be an obvious decision. Last Christmas it was below 0 in most of the west and 70 degrees in the south east.

MAKB · · Denver, CO. · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 13,136

Come to Potrero! My buddy drove a big shiny truck last year too and spoke no spanish, but had no trouble at all. Things are pretty chill here these days.

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I hadn't even thought of looking out east and knowing that it is possible to drive down to EPC safely gives me more options. I'm very game to pack up and only decide where I'm going to go the day before I leave. I'll keep an eye out on the weather and start buying guide books!

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 804

You may find the Southeast a bit cold then. Tucson, AZ has lots of climbing nearby (Mt Lemmon, Cochise) and is warm and dry.

Kevin D · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 160
KevinD wrote:https://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-homestead/105801318
Woah?! Now that is what I'm talking about! 110' 4 start 12's on limestone. Thanks KevinD
Kevin D · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 160

Yeah, hard to beat it. 2hrs from Phoenix or Tucson

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Sport Climbing
Post a Reply to "Winter climbing areas?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started