Mountain Project Logo

ice climbing gloves for BIG HANDS

Original Post
Pascal Ripoche · · Berkeley CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 195

I'm getting ready for an ice climbing trip and I have a hard time finding gloves because I have big hands. The only stuff I can find will not last 2 days. any pointer is welcome!

Cheers!

Rico Tan · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 100

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001N92TZQ/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_469_2/168-6827158-7197266?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y4WT6K0T1ZVB6YDMH3J9 Put layers of snowseal/wax on the gloves to prevent leather being soaked helps..... there are many other models, just search pigskin gloves on Amazon and many x-large are cheaper. I used to have 2 pairs that's way too big for me , wish I didn't give them away already....

ChapelPondGirl · · Keene, NY · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Hey there fella...just how big are your hands? :) :) :)

Jack C. · · Calgary, AB · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

You might be fine with OR gloves. The thumbs are always huge on me. I have to shorten ever pair with a quick whip-stitch of some excess fabric but aside from that they...er...fit like a glove. But I suppose your post would have read "ice climbing gloves for BIG THUMBS" if you had wanted that advice.

4will · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

You know what they say, big hands, big feet...big shoes and gloves.

I wear a size 15 shoe and a XXL glove. Tracking down gear that fits is a constant pursuit. Shoes are typically too wide and gloves made for fat hands.

I have been pleased with CAMP gloves. I'm not an ice climber so I don't know about dry or durability but the ones I've used have fit well and been warm for my general outdoor use. I also found a pair of Mammut gloves in XXL recently,they were great on Rainier. Of course Hestra makes large gloves but they may not have anything geared for climbing. I search by size on Gear Trade to hunt bargains.

Hope that helps, Will

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply