Mountain Project Logo

cypher sentinel or butora altura high tops?

Original Post
amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 715

Was out last night inverted in an offwidth with my leg above my head calf/foot jamming, and in order not to be scraping bone I had to tape the crap out of my ankles. Ripping the tape off gave me a great wax job and a scream. Basically I need some hitops...

I have size 14 feet and dont fit in TC pros ( :'( can I get a kleenex please?)

Astromans are too small also...

leaving me little choice for high top shoes.

anybody tried the cypher sentinel? general review? sizing?

Edit: Butora Alturas look sweet- anybody rocking em?
Thanks,

Cam

Donovan Allen · · Subaru · Joined May 2012 · Points: 415

Butora

amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 715
DoNstamos wrote:Butora
Please elaborate?

Them alturas look good.

What's the sizing like? They go to 13.5 which I can swing in some makes.
hbert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 60

I was looking at the Sentinels and couldn't find a local place that had them in stock. I called the company and they said they should fit similarly to the TC Pros (which don't fit my wider feet).

Arin Earl · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 85

Butora Altura's are great. Fit comfortable at street shoe size.

Daniel Joder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I think I have finally ended my search for a good trad shoe with the Butora Alturas. I, too, can't fit into TC Pros, unfortunately. My street/running/hiking shoe size ranges from 13 to 14 depending on the brand and I have found the Butora Altura 13.5 narrow fits my feet very well (along with a very, very thin pair of socks for added comfort and hygiene). My first try with a pair of Alturas was a size 14 wide (they DO come in 14), but they got a little sloppy fairly quickly--mostly in the width. I would guess that at these bigger sizes the Alturas might stretch maybe an eighth to a quarter size in length as they mold to your feet, but will loosen much more in width due to the leather uppers. Take all this with a block of salt as I am a pretty old guy from the era of EBs who is definitely NOT climbing upside down in off-widths at night. (BTW, I'll be putting those nearly new size 14s on MP for sale here shortly!)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply