Mountain Project Logo

Petzl Lim'Ice Issues. Please Help!

Original Post
Sean Bjornsson · · Boston, MA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 25

I just purchased a Petzl Lim'Ice. I was very excited to sharpen some of my dull screws.
The short side of the tooth was a breeze, but when I got to the top slope I had issues.

The teeth were unevenly being sharpened, they seemed to be presenting different amounts of the tooth to the file (see pictures).

The correct tooth alignment in the file guide.

Tooth seated poorly. This is as good as I can get this tooth to sit.

I took it apart and investigated, and I found out that the threads were hitting two small bumps inside the screw guide (see pictures). These bumps only exited in one of the two guides, and totally rendered the tool unusable due to how it got in the way of the threads and stopped the screw from being seated correctly on the file.

File guide with no bumps, screw fits nicely.

Screw file guide with bumps in the side. You can see where the threads have roughed up the plastic.

Screw file guide with the bumps, close up.

To anyone who owns and uses this tool:
Do you have this issue?
Do you have two guide holes without and bumps impeding the screw tooth from sitting flush, or does one have bumps like mine?
Is this a manufacturing defect?

Thanks!
divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 170

Why not ask Petzl USA?

Sean Bjornsson · · Boston, MA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 25

Great suggestion! It occurred to me about 5 minutes after throwing this post together.

rocknice2 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,028

How low are the threads in relation to the tips of the teeth? As you sharpen the teeth you need to file back the threads too.

Can you post a photo of the screw you were having trouble with. Focus on the tooth with the lowest thread.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply