Mountain Project Logo

Chat trad guide book

Original Post
Mad Al · · Madison Alabama · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 15

Anyone have any experience with the chat trad book. Looking for a guide book for that area. I have Dixie craggers atlas for Alabama and Georgia and I wish it gave more info on gear for trad routes.

Chet Butterworth · · Chattanooga · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 405

I love the Chat Trad book and catch myself flipping through its pages and gazing at its pictures a few times a week. It's also more beat up than my old Dixie Craggers because it's my go-to, take-to-the-crag book. But unless the route requires big stuff, you're better off using the Mountain Project app for gear beta.

paul.adams.3 · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 40

chat trad is great, but there isn't too much gear beta. it does give general safety ratings for routes though. my biggest complaint - it's freaking heavy! otherwise, a stellar guidebook

Would y'all recommend it over Dixie cragger for chat area?

paul.adams.3 · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 40

I don't have the chatt area craggers so I can't quite say. Chatt trad is excellent for sunset and twall, from my experience. Great photos and detail on routes. It also covers suck creek, Prentice cooper, and big soddy gorge (new area not in other books to my knowledge). I personally like chatt trad a lot, and think it's worth a purchase. There are lots of extras as well - history of chatt climbing, essays from rob Robinson and others, etc. I think the cragger is a bit lighter, and would probably get you around the areas well. I have the non chatt cragggers and like it fine. Fwiw, my friend has both and brings chatt trad when we climb

ChapelPondGirl · · Keene, NY · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

I just got home from a week long trip to the T-Wall. I am going to go against the grain here and say that I didn't care for the layout of the Chattrad guidebook at all. I found it really not user friendly, very difficult to follow the flow of the route descriptions while I was looking for a climb. There are a ton of excellent full page pictures and little extra blurbs that are cool, but really get in the way functionally. The maps I found useless for the most part, and the grading system is beyond silly, with all these little symbols to represent extra special climbs. The start rating system has become the norm, so when I flipped through the book looking for good routes, my eye wasn't drawn to the symbols which were supposed to denote high utility pitches. I found this immensely irritating.

Conversely, someone handed me the Dixie Craggers atlas one day and I was able to just open it and find routes easily. That's the mark of a good guidebook. Chattrad has lots of flash, but is not very user friendly, in my little old humble opinion.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I think gonna give it a shot and try it out.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply