Southeast multi pitch in early January

Original Post
Thomas Chapman · · Sewanee, Tennessee · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hey y'all, my partner and I are planning to make a trip out of the first half of January. We're looking to find some area(s) that would be in the sun for most of the day and within a 6 or 7 hour drive from Chattanooga. We tend to climb moderates around 5.7 to 5.10. Any ideas??

A. Ketcham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 0

Stone Mountain would be a good bet. Most routes get plenty of sun.

Jeff Mekolites · · ATL GA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 4,464

Laurel Knob, Whitesides, Looking Glass, stuff around Cedar would all be good options. If its 45 degrees or above and sunny you should be good to go.

Toad · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

Just beware wind. Sun won't help you if it's 20+ mph.

TomCaldwell · · Clemson, S.C. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 2,453

Tallulah is one of the best spots when it is cold and windy. Hopefully they don't unnecessarily close the cliff again this year for peregrines. You also have to hope that it stays dry for several days before.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Rumbling Bald will be open by then. It sounds like their are a lot of assessments to be done by the park before that happens. That is another spot that is great when it is cold and windy.

Big Rock, SC may be one of the warmest spots in the SE. It has some great single pitch, and quasi-multipitch climbing. Meaning, you could do all of the routes with a single rope, or break it up into ~90' pitches on a few routes.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply