Mountain Project Logo

Taipei

Original Post
cwright86 · · pittsburgh, PA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 10

heading out tomorrow with work, probably be there for a few months.I wanna take most of my gear but nervous about my gear getting lost or stole while I travel there. Are there guide I could hire there for climbing in Taipei area and long dong? also looking for suggestions and thoughts for gear to take. Thanks.

Nathan Bell · · La Grande, Oregon · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 5

When I lived there I had a double rack to #3 and a single #4. That was plenty to do anything I wanted to get on. If you have a set of offset stoppers things will be quite a bit easier but I didn't have any and I'm still alive. The pain in the ass part of Long Dong (hehe) is the salt air and having your gear turn to rust. TCUs are particularly vulnerable because of all their wire parts but because of the weird nature of the sandstone and the funky placements they fit so well into, it is worth having to clean and oil the crap out of them. I don't know of any guides but if you get ahold of the locals here: facebook.com/groups/4130189… They will point you in the right direction. As far as stuff getting stollen, I have never felt as safe as when being in Taiwan. People there are awesome. Cheers and 加 油!

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790

Where are you staying? If you are in a hotel or rented room, no one is touching your stuff. Nobody will rip you off in person either. Taipei is extremely safe for your person and property.

Bring a rack of doubles up to #3 if planning to primarily climb on gear, singles if you are outgoing and able to find partners. If looking at sport, a rack of 14 draws should do it. Borrow partners' ropes or buy one locally if you are worried about space.

To find partners, check out all of the local climbing gyms and post on the Taiwan climbing Facebook wall. If you are friendly, you will find partners who will take you to Longdong, Rehai, or any of the other local areas. I'd recommend showing up at the Neihu Sports Center on a weekenight to find potential partners (amazing outdoor structure). Other spots are Stone Bouldering gym or other municipal gyms or sport centers with walls. If you speak little or no mandarin, don't worry - most Taiwanese in Taipei have a basic grasp of English, and even more so in the climbing community. Just be friendly, psyched, and outgoing.

There are guides, but why would you drop all that cash when there are plenty of partners available abd you are there for months? Google that shit for more info about guiding services.

Have fun. Taipei is an amazing city, and the Taiwanese are amazing people.

cwright86 · · pittsburgh, PA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 10

I'll be in a hotel, I'm most worried about the airlines losing my gear or it get stolen. I travel a lot with work and never had any problems, but I usually never take my gear so it makes me nervous. I don't know any of the langue there that's why I asked about guides. But you're right about just hitting the gyms and meeting people, I'm a nice and chill dude so hofefully I shouldn't have any problems meeting people.

Thanks for all the info!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply