Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Famlies in Chicago?

Original Post
CCas · · Chicago, IL · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 115

I was not sure where to put this as it is an edge case with regard to "partner finder." That said, I figured I would start here and admins pls let me know and I can move it wherever...

That said, my wife and I had a little one this past year. We have obviously had to adjust our climbing routines to fit in the new addition, but the largest thing we are missing is... a core group of like-minded climbing families in a similar situation to share the trials, tribulations, and small victories of being climbing parents - lol. We enjoy taking him to the crag/gym and have quickly learned that there is strength in numbers... works especially well when doing bouldering circuts and we can take turns hanging out with the little one during rests ;)

We climb out of First Ascent in Chicago and routinely make trips up to the Devil's Lake, Gov Dodge, Nacedah during the warmer months. We also try to get a handful of longer trips to the Red over the course of the year. With that in mind, I wanted to reach out to the local climbing community to see if there were other families (or dad's) with young children intrested in maybe meeting up and climbing together?

Obviously it is a little cold to go outdoors w/ the family at this point so would most likely be in the gym if anyone else belongs to First Ascent. That said, I do not mind a good suffer-fest and would be more then happy to take advantage of the good friction if we could get a hall pass from our significant others to do some winter-bouldering up in WI for a day ;)

If anyone is interested... pls send a message.

Alexander Stathis · · Athens, GA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 80

I know there are several families that climb together at First Ascent, but I am not involved with that and don't know any of them well enough to know how to get you in touch. Have you attended any of the kids community events at FA (they did a few movie nights, I think)?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply