Best current guidebook for El Potrero Chico?

Original Post
Kimberley Flores · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

Hi all, Can anyone recommend a good, comprehensive but not ridiculously expensive guidebook for Potrero Chico and where I can get it?
Thanks so much! Or...if you have one you want to sell, let me know.

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 6

Rackup digital guide book? It might actually be your best bet.

Frank should have a new one out soon, but that's like post-prime-season this year.

Dane's (Whole Enchilada) is getting out of date and out of print.

Ed's was fine if you already knew your way around so you could work on just a listing of routes, tended towards complete & cheap -- but I don't know if anyone has continued printing/updating his work since he died.

Thanks! Is Rakkup something you can access easily on a phone? Do I need special phone service while in MX?

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 6
Kimberley Flores wrote:Thanks! Is Rakkup something you can access easily on a phone? Do I need special phone service while in MX?
From the rakkup.com's FAQ:

"What’s this rakkup app all about? Is it new? Are people using it?

Rakkup is an app for iPhone and Android devices that lets climbers purchase and download digital climbing guidebooks that go beyond the printed book, which work even without cell service."

Looks like you install the app, purchase & download a guidebook, and don't need further cell service once you've downloaded the guidebook.

Great, thanks!

Josiah Cooper · · Lenexa, KS · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5
Kimberley Flores wrote:Hi all, Can anyone recommend a good, comprehensive but not ridiculously expensive guidebook for Potrero Chico and where I can get it? Thanks so much! Or...if you have one you want to sell, let me know.
Funny you should ask! I met this guy named Frank Madden while I was down there a couple weeks ago, and he is currently working on the "latest and greatest" guidebook to EPC! He's living out of his van right now at Rancho El Sendero if that gives you any idea of his financial ability to fund the actual printing of the book. So here's the GoFundMe link to his project. Help the book go to print, and get one for yourself in the meantime!!

https://www.gofundme.com/epcguidebook
Rob Price · · Seattle, WA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0
Josiah Cooper wrote: Funny you should ask! I met this guy named Frank Madden while I was down there a couple weeks ago, and he is currently working on the "latest and greatest" guidebook to EPC! He's living out of his van right now at Rancho El Sendero if that gives you any idea of his financial ability to fund the actual printing of the book. So here's the GoFundMe link to his project. Help the book go to print, and get one for yourself in the meantime!! gofundme.com/epcguidebook
Josiah, Frank *is* the author of the rakkup digital guidebook for EPC mentioned above. You can already buy his book in digital form now ( link ) but yes, also kick in to the GoFundMe if you want to help Frank bring the book out in print. We're helping him earn some money and polish the content now via rakkup, and then he'll export the contents of the digital guide, then no doubt do some awesome stuff to lay it out nicely and get a paper option done.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply