Travel compatible Camp Stoves?


Original Post
Chris Reyes · · Montclair, NJ · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

Not sure if this is considered climbing gear, but it's kinda essential for climbing so i figured it'd be ok.

I'm looking for a solid camp stove to use while car camping/cragging. One of those two burner/burner and griddle deals, the only catch being I need something I can fly with.

There's a ton out there, Coleman and Camp Chef being the two most frequently recommended brands and I imagine any would really work. However a few times a year I pack everything up and do a few weeks out of a rental car. This usually has me carrying on my rope and climbing gear, while checking the majority of my misc gear (food, cooking stuff, backpacking stuff, etc.). This thing would have to go in my checked gear, so I'm just looking for something that won't eat up a ton of my weight allowance (usually 50lb) nor take up all the space in my duffel. Rugged enough to handle being checked, but give me some benefit over my backpacking stove (which is what I usually use on these trips).

Does anything like this exist, or am I better off just using my backpacking stove with a frying pan?

Yury · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

I can think of two options:

1. Buy two single burner stoves like amazon.com/Coleman-Bottle-T...

2. - Fly to your destination
- Buy cheapest two burners stove
- Donate this stove prior to flying back

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 28

For flying somewhere and renting a car, I would stick with the backpacking stove. There's a business in Joshua Tree that rents camp stoves along with other camping gear. Maybe there are other businesses elsewhere that do this?

Have you flown with your backpacking stove? I've found that airlines do not like to see camp stoves in checked or carry-on baggage, and each airline has its own rules about them, mostly somewhat irrational.

Chris Reyes · · Montclair, NJ · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0
Yury wrote:I can think of two options: 1. Buy two single burner stoves like amazon.com/Coleman-Bottle-T... 2. - Fly to your destination - Buy cheapest two burners stove - Donate this stove prior to flying back
Hmmm...The Former is reasonable, but in the case I should just stick with my backpacking stove probably. And the latter would work, but again - could save money and just use what I have.

mark felber wrote:For flying somewhere and renting a car, I would stick with the backpacking stove. There's a business in Joshua Tree that rents camp stoves along with other camping gear. Maybe there are other businesses elsewhere that do this? Have you flown with your backpacking stove? I've found that airlines do not like to see camp stoves in checked or carry-on baggage, and each airline has its own rules about them, mostly somewhat irrational.
I've never had an issue, it's a tiny Kovea stove and it always goes in checked, They've opened my duffel but the stove's never been an issue. It's the stove only (no gas).
mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 28

Gas cartridge stoves don't seem to attract as much attention. I've gotten all kinds of grief about my Whisperlite, even though it was completely clean and dry, and the bottle was empty, clean and dry.

A two burner propane stove might be your best bet if you want a two burner stove to take on planes. they're a little more compact than the two burner white gas stoves, and if you don't have a fuel tank with it the airline people probably won't get too upset about it. That's still a bigger chunk of my weight/space allowance than I would want to give up, though, especially if you're bringing cookware to go with the stove.

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

The answer is

http://www.jetboil.com/
Genesis model

Of course you can take a vacation for the price (which is ridiculous) but it is the answer to your question I think.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 0
Chris Rice wrote:The answer is jetboil.com/ Genesis model Of course you can take a vacation for the price (which is ridiculous) but it is the answer to your question I think.
well that certainly looks interesting and expensive $$$
Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0
Stagg54 wrote: well that certainly looks interesting and expensive $$$
It really is a beautiful piece of gear but $350 - WOW!
I have friends who have the regular Jetboils and they are the best thing ever to make morning coffee - boils water quicker than anything I have ever seen
Chris Reyes · · Montclair, NJ · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0
Chris Rice wrote: It really is a beautiful piece of gear but $350 - WOW! I have friends who have the regular Jetboils and they are the best thing ever to make morning coffee - boils water quicker than anything I have ever seen
Yea I'm continually amazed by how fast they boil, but man. That's a pretty decent chunk of change. It's interesting there isn't something similar from other companys or even slightly more minimalist stoves (sans windscreen and lid and all that).

It would seem sticking with what I have is the way to go for now.
Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

I have a single burner Coleman that I fly with (propane). Kinda big but simmers well enough to actually cook on without burning everything. I've never had any problems taking it in checked baggage and the little green Coleman propane tanks are available everywhere.

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 28

The Jetboil Genesis looks very cool., but for that kind of money I could buy two stoves and cookware and have a much more flexible cooking system.

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

Agree on the backpacking stove suggestion. Liquid fuel is fine if you can clean it to the point where it doesn't smell like gas. I've flown easily 100+ legs with one and never had an issue. Clean the bottles with hot soapy water and rinse with hot water. Air out the bottle and stove overnight and u should be good to go.

Canister stoves are a lot simpler to fly with since u don't have to clean anything. Fuel can be harder to find though so pick you're poison.

Lee Green · · Edmonton, Alberta · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 50

I like my alcohol stove. No, it's not as fast as a JetBoil, but I'm generally not in that big a hurry. It's small, weighs nothing, is mechanically so simple it can't fail, it makes no sound, I can get fuel just about anywhere, and I've never had any issues flying with it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply