BD Sharp End Pants reviews

Original Post
Luc-514 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 8,953

Hey all, I'm interested in getting the Sharp End Pants as my HardShell Ice/Mixed climbing pants.
Anyone tried them out? how baggy are the ankles?
I normally wear 30" rise jeans so I'm worried with the length...

My other choice following a bit more saving is the Arc'teryx Alpha AR Pant.

Matt Zia · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 171

I've had a pair since the late summer. Only had to use them a couple times, and haven't gotten them out with boots and crampons on yet, but here's a few initial thoughts. I wear a 30x32 normally, small BD pants fit me reasonably well.

The cuffs are big. Not quite big enough to count as flared jeans, but definitely big enough that wearing them with approach shoes feels just downright silly. Haven't tried fitting the cuff over a ski boot in touring mode yet, but I think it'll fit just fine.

The thigh area is cut pretty slim on the other hand and I have trouble getting full range of motion in them unless I hike them up and cinch the belt pretty tight above my waist.

Length is okay for me, especially given how baggy the ankles are. I'll probably put a piece of shock cord on the cuffs this winter to keep them down a bit more, but I'm not too worried about them being too short.

If they fit, they're freaking bombproof. Wore them for three days straight this September getting absolutely nuked at 12,000 feet on the Continental Divide and not a drop of rain (or snow, sleet, hail, or graupel) got through.

Hope that helps!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply