Mountain Project Logo

Petzl Quick Draws

Original Post
Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 55

How do the Djinn Quick Draws and biners compare to the Spirit draws and biners?

Ty Morrison-Heath · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 2,053

Personally, I like the DJINN better. I find clipping them easier, and they don't end up leaving black junk all over your hands/ropes/belay device. IMO, the only advantages to the Spirit are the wider dogbone for yarding on and the slightly lighter weight.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Are you trying to tell me you use the Djinn steel for your quickdraws? Why would the Djinn's not leave black crap on your hands but the spirits do?

Ty Morrison-Heath · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 2,053

DrRockso, I've personally noticed that I pick up a bunch more black on my hands when climbing with the Spirits than the standard aluminum DJINNs. No idea why, but that has been my, albeit unscientific and anecdotal, experience.

David Duy Nguyen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Personally I marginally like the spirits better at clipping but it's not worth the $5 difference. Like Ty Morrison-Heath said the wider dogbone on the spirits make it easier to grab on. However the one downside to having wider dogbone is that it is harder to take the quickdraws off the bolt with superclip if you intend to bail and not leave anything behind.

You need to learn the alternative way to take off draws with the superclip, it does not necessitate going over the dogbone or having the rope still thru the draw. Simply get the super clip behind the spine and over the gate then you twist it so it backclips the draw. Presto.

Andrew A. · · Southbridge, MA · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 20
DrRockso wrote:You need to learn the alternative way to take off draws with the superclip, it does not necessitate going over the dogbone or having the rope still thru the draw. Simply get the super clip behind the spine and over the date then you twist it so it backclips the draw. Presto.
Could you please clarify this method?? Pics or a vid would be even better!

Sorry for the rudimentary illustration but you get the superclip behind quickdraw from the side opposite the gate, the superclip will be behind the spine of the carabiner and one side of the superclip will be infront of the gate and one side behind. Twist the pole until it opens the gate, twisting more will 'backclip' the carabiner off the hanger. Really simple and a lot easier than springing it on the carabiner with a little practice. Plus no rope or tension is necessary. Most of the time the carabiner will stay in the superclip until you get it down as well so no flying carabiners as one might expect.
Andrew A. · · Southbridge, MA · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 20

Thanks! I will have to give this a try next time at the crag. I have a Squid also and like both designs but they each have flaws; like big dogbones w/ the SuperClip. I'd love to attempt building a Squid with a metal arm since I'm always afraid the plastic will break from cranking it on a biner.

Once you get good with the superclip you'll never go back to the inferior design of the squid.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Petzl Quick Draws"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started