skiing cross-country New York 2017

Original Post
kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10,116

Snow on the groomed tracks farther north, so Sharon and I are driving there with our skis this Saturday + Sunday.

Mt Van Hoevenberg near Lake Placid reports 40 km of tracks open (today Thanksgiving).

Prospect Mountain in southwest corner of Vermont by Bennington reports lots of snow with excellent conditions (we called them yesterday afternoon).
. . (yes I know Bennington is not in NY, but the beaver pond by the ski tracks drains to the Hoosic River
. . . which flows N + W into the Hudson River, and the trail network is so interesting that
. . . Prospect Mt is worthy of inclusion with our excellent New York skiing).

If might want to join us, send me a message (including your phone or email) thru MountainProject.

• I like to skate - (on groomed tracks, or off the tracks, or on smooth asphalt).
  • Sharon likes to do classic striding at a non-fast pace.
  • ski Mountaineering: likely I'll bring my mountaineering skis + boots + climbing skins for some uphill training at Prospect Mt VT on Sunday (just in case you want to see my or show your equipment for that - tho I almost never do ski mountaineering in NorthEast US).

Saturday 12 noon good time to meet us at Mt Van Ho.

Sunday 8:00 good time to meet us for coffee in Bennington VT before driving east up the hill to Prospect Mt. Or just meet us at their (rather nice) base lodge.

Ken

P.S. Hoping for skiing in the Gunks soon.
SMarsh · · NY, NY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 3

C U there!

Dave Schultz wrote:I could be game for some cardio and rust removal on Sunday, if you were interested in going with the AT gear instead of the XC gear.
Yes for say like 3 laps of AT (like starting around 11:30 or 12) -- but only after I enjoy my skating.

For me skating at one of the several good Interstate-87 corridor groomed-trail networks is a world-class fun 3-dimensional gliding experience.
I'm not giving up a magical day of that just to train my 1-dimensional uphill slogging - rewarded by only short mediocre downhill runs.

Ken
Dave Cramer · · Greenfield, MA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

I'm a Prospect regular; I'll be there on Friday and Sunday, practicing my uphill slogging. Haven't skied there since Sunday, halfway through the storm. I hit lots of rocks skiing the lift line, but it was still fun!

Dave

Hope we can meet on Sunday.
Normally I first skate the whole perimeter of the groomed cross-country trails counter-clockwise. Not sure if I'll have the strength on my second day to fit in skating to the top of the mountain (around the backside) -- especially since I will have skated lots already at Mt Van Ho the day before.

After a rest I'd switch to mountaineering skis with climbing skins (I'll guess starting before 12 noon -- or my endurance for skating this time might run out even before 11:00).

Normally I skin straight up the line of the old lift, then descend the old alpine downhill trail which runs on the east side. Repeat - (I doubt more than three laps my first day out).

You can recognize me by my skis having (heavier) Fritschi bindings instead of Tech (Dynafit-type) bindings. I'm not interested in rando racing -- only training for going on trips outside the Northeast.

Likely I'll have a bright orange backpack and a bright blue jacket.

Ken

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply