Winter bouldering partner in CT

Original Post
Jona Dul · · New Milford, CT · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

in need of climbing partner for the winter, maybe later on but just looking for winter for now. I'm working on developing some boulder areas and pushing my grade/knowledge/skill, and i could greatly use a spotter and partner. broke my back on a v6 in september in a really stupid arm scum, but point is i do not climb alone anymore, and partners i do know or have are not nearly as experienced or very available. i could do any day as i work nights, and being able to climb frequently would be a major plus. based in Western Connecticut.

Harry Netzer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 110

I'm in Roxbury. Don't climb v6 but I'm not a beginner. I'd like to see more local stuff. Pm me, I don't think I'm around this week though

doesn't have to start this week necessarily, but you are very close to me, big plus, pm sent

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Sup dudes! Im from Litchfield and would like to head out with you guys. I've been leading trad for a decade and have made bouldering trips all over the country.

Mitchell Joseph · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

I'd love to climb with you guys, I'm out of state right now but I'll be back in Litchfield after new years.

hit me up whenever man, just pm me and we can work out contact stuff if you want

Bryantrace · · Washington,CT · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Hey Guys

I'm in Washington CT and I'm not climbing V6 right now either, but I'm taking a trip down to Patagonia this spring and would really like to be hitting things like that by the time I'd leave. I'd be happy to go out and spot sometime. I also have strange days off so some weekdays are real good for me.

planning on this weekend if you wanna come, hit me up for details

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 85

Joseph,
In New Milford ?
I've climbed a bunch up behind the ' Bounce House"

There is a lot of short stuff around, Mostly all of it 5 minutes from the road.
Here is a small assortment of the some. . ., . .
These are on private property, I've been given access when ever I've wanted .
1st , I'm not telling. . .

Any one recognize this?
open space, Dn'bury area. The Best

Books traverse
(Sorry for the low quality pictures)
S. Western Ct,
With hundreds more
It is easy to like it
steep

Steep, big holds at the top
Not cleaned up waiting for a direct sit start. or not

deep and wide

Steep

yep i live in new milford if thats what you're asking, and by that state park do you mean lover leap? i've developed a number of boulder problems there

Off the walking trails of a town park there are some really good boulders including an overhanging crack

I would be glad to see the Sit starts and hard problems get sent.

now, no bushes, wood chips around the base,
'Mmmm

im real close to town center/downtown, im minutes from at least three areas, one of which is v7 possibly up to v10 max? i don't know its the breadloaf boulder. i check roadside pull off areas a lot, that's led to one of my better area finds, up near sherman at the top of the hill. i think you know more places than i do honestly, i know mostly based off exploration and putting up my own lines, i know im not the first in some areas clearly but my lines may be unique i have no idea, i've never climbed with anyone who knows the area

hey i do enjoy sit starts and cracks though, my best are generally slabs though

oh wait, that place in sherman is almost less than a minute off the road depending on where you start, i could show you/giv you directions if you want? very bouldery, mostly lowballs but still fun

if we dont make plans any time soon, you'll probably be able to spot me around town. usually green hoodie, black pants. i got a bd hoody thats brighter green and a almost pastel green hoodie i altered i got from walmart

WHERE ARE THOSE ONES OMG

Morgan Patterson · · CT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,332
Michael Schneider wrote:
That first one is a nice looking chunk...

Dave Dorbad · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Any places looking snow free that way? I'm from northeast PA, been thinking about driving out for some bouldering if the weather looks decent this week.

there are a few areas im expecting to be 'snow free' or at least climbable, but have not checked, one is Tarrywile Park in danbury, got a lotta bigger boulders and a bunch of overhanging stuff in some spots and 'large' walls so it may be ok. the breadloaf in new milford has a large section that is overhung with many problems on it so that one could be good too. out of the areas i go to, any more i would have to check.

Joseph Dul wrote:there are a few areas im expecting to be 'snow free' or at least climbable, but have not checked, one is Tarrywile Park in danbury, got a lotta bigger boulders and a bunch of overhanging stuff in some spots and 'large' walls so it may be ok. the breadloaf in new milford has a large section that is overhung with many problems on it so that one could be good too. out of the areas i go to, any more i would have to check.
Tarrywile, has some fun rock. Some that is close to the parking-lot. The stuff, on the hillside by the Mansion.

( it is an urban park, the overlook attracts some local folks. )

The lower parking-lot, leads to the base of the hill.

the Porta-John, wrecks the ambiance of the climbing on a good block.

The best bet is to park up the hill in the ' Mansion' parking area. Then head back a short walk,right, toward the 'house' and around the 'overlook' to find the short wall a vertical 10ft high? 70ft long with good, easier stuff , ~ the traversing is awesome. There are only a few blocks scattered around the hillside and the other short main (easy) 'overlook' wall, here.
(there is more rock at the far end of the pond)

(there is an abandoned Castle across the street up the dirt road, from the upper parking lot )

Where you want to go is across the street ( castle side ) be aware that this is all private property.
Down past the 'upper' parking lot about a mile is the "posted" Stairway wall !
Top ropes and a low profile, are required. This is an antenna site, it may be a criminal trespass !
I've climbed there without incident so far.
Be careful to leave no trace
( Sharp fresh stone, you do not need chalk. Brush away all chalk)
Please be smart don't try to park on the side of the road or the Posted Drive way..
Park at the upper parking lot after a drive by recon. (See all those posted signsS !)
then walk back.

stay away from the entire installation at the top of the stairs!

There is a warning about Video survalence

Set up so that you get two or more climbs with one rope up; set directionals.
Move along without going up on top much, where you are more visible.
try not to be seen.

We Are not Talking about a destination, worth a two hour drive.

As tempting as the leads are,(full rack is not needed) just a few wires & tri-cams
More gear might cause more legal action against you.
Do not Tresspass , especially if you have any outstanding legal issues.
If you get caught - be smart & polite
And leave the anchors!
Pull your ropes and follow orders, to avoid arrest.
You can retrieve your gear latter or ask to go get it if there are no charges.
Speed in following police direction, in leaving - might help save you from angry cop action.

There are good zones in the area. One can get a good day at two or three areas or aim for the harder tics at each area. There is snow-melt that causes some frozen holds.

This is the Golf Course Season! ~ ( Sleding ? XC-skiing ? )
And Bouldering

I tweaked my back. I'm on the couch for a bit,I have a plan to go to some special access rock, so I'm resting up.(but get in touch if you want more beta)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply