Best places to practice placing gear/building anchors from the ground?

Original Post
Ed Schaefer · · Centennial, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 35

Just looking for recommendations on places near Denver Metro region to place gear and build anchors from the ground. I want to get some more practice with gear, but sometimes I can't find a partner, or I need a rest day from climbing, or I just want to go for a hike.

I took a clinic with Rob Pizem recently and he suggested taking the trad rack and harness out and placing some gear and building some anchors on those kinds of days. He said when he lived on the Front Range he would go out to Morrison area, and I thought it would be cool to try to get a list together of other good options.

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 33

I would suggest North Table Mountain by Golden. Tons of options for placing gear on the ground with the added perk of being able to be easily top rope solo and place gear while climbing, all by yourself.

Dave Holliday · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 1,331

Happy Hour Crag in Boulder Canyon is an excellent place to do this.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 83

North table. You have lots of cracks and even lowish bolts so you can do all kinds of stuff.

Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,470

Third North Table, aka Golden Cliffs. The main reason being is that you can lead with bolts to clip next to cracks and even the trad lines will have bolted anchors to lower off of. The basalt there makes perfect splitters that take gear well. So it's really ideal for trad practice.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply