Mountain Project Logo

Belay glasses with prescriptions

Original Post
Chris Rhys · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

I do suffer a bit from neck pain from belaying. Particularly noticeable after a weekend climbing. I would like to minimise this and am aware that Belay Glasses are a reasonable investment.

However the main reason (or excuse not to part with money) I have yet to buy a pair is a concern about their use with prescription glasses.

Are they suitable to wear together?

I do not use contacts but maybe an option I need to explore.

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

I cannot say for sure about using them with Rx glasses, but the CU-Glasses work pretty well with most sunglasses.
BTW, I think that may not be the case of some of the other brands out there... the CU brand uses a very thin, unobtrusive frame and nose bridge, which helps when combining them with other glasses.

Comanche Mckee · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 10

There is a new kind of belay glasses that clip to the front of current glasses. Meant for sunglasses but it would work in your case. Cant remember the name of them but I just saw them somewhere....probably was on here...

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

+1 that the CU specs are fine with glasses.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

the belay specs brand works well with glasses.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

Ditto the above. No issues using with prescription glasses.

Jordan Gans · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2012 · Points: 26
Comanche wrote:There is a new kind of belay glasses that clip to the front of current glasses. Meant for sunglasses but it would work in your case. Cant remember the name of them but I just saw them somewhere....probably was on here...
Probably these...http://www.yy-belayglasses.com/clip-up

Anxiously awaiting their "November" Release to try these out as I'm always wearing sunglasses and find it hard to get the right angle for viewing my climber with traditional specs.
Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

Most of my friends that wear glasses use the Y&Y in the gym over their glasses (those that use belay glasses, that it). I tend to find their field of view too narrow and I feel like I have tunnel vision. I use Belaggles, but they are not going to work with glasses.

yy-belayglasses.com/yy-classic

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170

I use CU belay glasses over prescription glasses. They work great, but in reality, there are limitations. Because they sit further from your eyes, the field of view is reduced. It is slightly awkward feeling. For me, the advantages definitely outweigh the small compromises. However, I do know some people who REALLY don't like wearing them with glasses. You should simply ask someone at your local gym to give them a try, if you can't find a pair in a store. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

I'm not sure which kind my wife has, that I occasionally borrow. We both wear prescription glasses and the belay glasses work fine with them. The field of view is narrow as others have said. The biggest problem though is that the damn things are HEAVY and that weight is way out on the tip of your nose. I don't like it, and rarely use them as a result.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

I use Belay Specs over my glasses. I like this particular model since it restricts FOV the least. On hot and sweaty days I sometimes hook the nose piece behind nose piece of my glasses to minimize slippage

trice Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

My friend/co-worker just started a company designed for this exact problem!

belayoptics.com/

Adam Ronchetti · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25

I use my belay glasses over my prescription glasses and they work fine. I actually think my brain can get used to them faster when I put them on because I wear prescription glasses.

The only thing I don't like is that they don't sit as close to my face as I would like because the glasses are in the way. As a result I usually have to tilt my head back a little bit if I'm lead belaying anyone on anything past about 10 degrees overhung.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

The way the belay specs brand makes the nose piece they work perfectly with glasses. Highly recommended.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Belay glasses with prescriptions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started